Repurposed 1940's Office Table with Benches
My best friend and his wife moved into a new house Fall 2023, and they were using a 1940's office table as a dining room table. The table is mahogany veneer. Most of the lacquer was gone, there were scratches, dents, coffee rings, and some areas of split veneer all over the table top.

He asked if we could make some benches to fit the table instead of chairs. So we go to the lumber yard and get some ash they has on special because it has some beetle holes in it. His wife likes the distressed look, so we get the wormy ash, and I make two benches. Bench construction is corner bolt leg assembly with traditional aprons.

Finish is one coat custom tint dye to approximate the color of the mahogany table after it was refinished. Top coat is 3 coats Target Coatings Emtech 7000 satin conversion varnish.

The table I took back to the shop and stripped off the rest of the lacquer, patched the dents and torn veneer, replaced missing pieces of the edge banding, and sanded it up.

The drawer was missing, so I built a drawer box out of wormy ash scrap. The front is a piece of sapele my buddy had left over from a previous project. I used half blind dovetails for the drawer construction and put in a cedar bottom to make the napkins smell good.

I colored the top with General Finishes Antique Brown them 3 coats of Target Coatings satin conversion varnish. All sprayed with an HVLP with 1.4mm tip. Table refinish was.very satisfying. Because his wife likes the distressed look, I did't take all the scars or defects out. I patched the worst of it and filled in the small stuff with dark brown wood filler. All the scars, blemishes, and mistakes are visible, but we all agree it looks great for a piece of re-used 1940's office furniture.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/94hVrAQaudjfwtVeA
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

Good work for sure!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-12-2024, 09:42 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Good work for sure!

Agreed.  Well done.  

John