Shooting board questions
I recently purchased a used Evenfall board. it is my understanding that the maker is not active currently. I and hoping that forum members can answer a few questions.

See attached images.

The fence has a corner cut off and I wonder if this is correct. 
The fence appears to be reversible left to right and top to bottom. Should I flip it?
Would the missing corner cause possible blow out in its current orientation?
If the element is original, what is its purpose?

The edge of the top plate has a shelf that starts approximately 3 or 4 ply from the top.
The surface that the plane sole contacts.
The top 3 or 4 layers are cut back for the whole length. 
Original purpose or has it been damaged?

Yep, I am left handed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Attached Files Image(s)

To me it looks like whoever made this shooting board is their failed prototype. I would suggest that you watch a Rob Cosman shooting board video and then make your own.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I can’t speak to if there is a reason for that - I have never owned one of Rob’s shooting boards and just don’t know, maybe someone here has.  I very much doubt it is a ‘prototype‘.  I do know Rob custom made them for different planes and purposes…. You can see what was available from him on this web archive link from 2018:

https://web.archive.org/web/201802241025...index.html

You can see there are many different iterations of them in that link, all were of very high quality, and it could also have been custom ordered.

Rob’s (Evenfall Studios) house/shop was completely destroyed on 11-8-2018 in the "Camp Fire" wildfire in Northern California, which ended his making of them.

You may find more info on that web archive link.

Edit: I do have this image he shared with me from some time back, it doesn’t appear to me to have that “step”, at least not in this image.

[Image: 3shoot.jpg]

Here is a photo of one Cian took at some galoot event with a Brese plane:

[Image: 6shoot.jpg]

That step might just be for clearance for the iron, or from use, but that’s just a WAG.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
Fence: this allows the fence to be used for 45 degree cuts (that fence appears to be adjustable).

Step: reflects blade projection beyond the sole of the plane. Generally for shooting, we are talking a few thousandths of an inch. Hard to tell from the picture, but this seems excessive. I wouldn't think that it would present a problem in terms of using this shooting board as long as the plane is firmly held down to the base of the board and not tipped.
(02-15-2024, 12:12 AM)RBohn Wrote: I recently purchased a used Evenfall board. it is my understanding that the maker is not active currently. I and hoping that forum members can answer a few questions.

See attached images.

The fence has a corner cut off and I wonder if this is correct. 
The fence appears to be reversible left to right and top to bottom. Should I flip it?
Would the missing corner cause possible blow out in its current orientation?
If the element is original, what is its purpose?

The edge of the top plate has a shelf that starts approximately 3 or 4 ply from the top.
The surface that the plane sole contacts.
The top 3 or 4 layers are cut back for the whole length. 
Original purpose or has it been damaged?

Yep, I am left handed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

(02-15-2024, 03:00 AM)Nordic Wrote: I can’t speak to if there is a reason for that - I have never owned one of Rob’s shooting boards and just don’t know, maybe someone here has.  I very much doubt it is a ‘prototype‘.  I do know Rob custom made them for different planes and purposes…. You can see what was available from him on this web archive link from 2018:

https://web.archive.org/web/201802241025...index.html

You can see there are many different iterations of them in that link, all were of very high quality, and it could also have been custom ordered.

Rob’s (Evenfall Studios) house/shop was completely destroyed on 11-8-2018 in the "Camp Fire" wildfire in Northern California, which ended his making of them.

You may find more info on that web archive link.

Edit: I do have this image he shared with me from some time back, it doesn’t appear to me to have that “step”, at least not in this image.

[Image: 3shoot.jpg]

That step might just be for clearance for the iron, or from use, but that’s just a WAG.
Thanks for the archived content link.
(02-15-2024, 08:56 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Fence: this allows the fence to be used for 45 degree cuts (that fence appears to be adjustable).

Step: reflects blade projection beyond the sole of the plane. Generally for shooting, we are talking a few thousandths of an inch. Hard to tell from the picture, but this seems excessive. I wouldn't think that it would present a problem in terms of using this shooting board as long as the plane is firmly held down to the base of the board and not tipped.

Thanks, that makes sense. The fence needs to be re oriented for 45 degree shooting.
Rob would have delivered the shooting board without the "step" where the shooting plane contacts the board. That step would be unique to the plane used (see any description on how to build a shooting board). You can plane the shelf flat again with a shoulder plane or any plane where the blade extends the full width of the plane. Then re-establish a step unique to your shooting plane. That step should only be a few thousandth's depth, since typically, you're taking very thin shavings with a shooting board/plane.

Agree with the other posts that the 45 degree cut on the fence is to accommodate a 45 degree angle for the fence. The fence can be set to any of the angles where you see holds drilled in the fence table.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
[quote="Nordic" pid='8173108' dateline='1707984048']

Ha! I didn't expect to see that plane posted here. It is the prototype for the Brese Shooting Plane. It was jointly designed and built by Ron Brese and Jameel Abraham. I own it now.

Attached Files Image(s)