Design question/opinion re entertainment center
Joe 1086's thread about making a wall/shelves/TV space for his daughter prompted a thought I've had for some time. I was recently in a Best Buy and 85" TVs seem pretty common and reasonably affordable these days. I build an entertainment center in the late '90s for a 32" CRT tv. Yeah, sucker weighed close to 200 lbs. or more as I recall. Currently it houses a 46" Sony which is quite modest by today's standards. The TV sits on top of a 50 inch base with drawers and shelves with towers in either side. The towers are about 6" deeper than the base. Problem with this design is if I wanted to go with a TV larger than about 50", I couldn't. I could move the base out so it's in front of the towers that contain books and audio video devices. A larger TV would obstruct both towers. Anybody have a thought beyond redesigning/rebuilding at least the center portion?
(02-19-2024, 10:54 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: Joe 1086's thread about making a wall/shelves/TV space for his daughter prompted a thought I've had for some time. I was recently in a Best Buy and 85" TVs seem pretty common and reasonably affordable these days. I build an entertainment center in the late '90s for a 32" CRT tv. Yeah, sucker weighed close to 200 lbs. or more as I recall. Currently it houses a 46" Sony which is quite modest by today's standards. The TV sits on top of a 50 inch base with drawers and shelves with towers in either side. The towers are about 6" deeper than the base. Problem with this design is if I wanted to go with a TV larger than about 50", I couldn't. I could move the base out so it's in front of the towers that contain books and audio video devices. A larger TV would obstruct both towers. Anybody have a thought beyond redesigning/rebuilding at least the center portion?

I have a similar problem coming up soon.  40+ years ago I built two "tower" units,  a smaller (left) one to house audio equipment and the larger right one to contain a 25" Heathkit TV I had assembled.  When the old TV finally died after 14 years (good thing about the Heathkits were just about anything was repairable) it housed a 27" tube-type Sony.  Then a while after the coming of all-digital TV we sprang for the 47" Sony you see.  I cut down and "married" the two tower units, and built the side cabinets to hold CDs, DVDs, some old video tapes, etc. (originally that was massive Bozak speakers under the bookshelves).

For the next generation of TV I will need to reconfigure or rebuild something, and get rid of some of the outdated audio equipment.  I digitized all of our "vinyls" and cassettes several years ago (about 200 LPs - took a while!) so no real need for the turntable or tape player.  Might even lose those tower speakers for smaller more efficient ones or a good soundbar.  I'm thinking to build a fairly small central unit the same height and style as the end cabinets, creating a set about 6' wide, and moving the bookshelves someplace else.  Not trying to steal from Kurt's post, but if anyone has ideas or comments I would appreciate it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mine is somewhat similar but I'd have to move a BUNCH of boxes to take a picture. Also, to go wider I'd have to partially obstruct one or both windows. I guess I'll be sticking with 50" or less TVs.