Now Available - Reproduction Trip Clamp for Stanley Mitre Boxes
Missing on most of the Stanley mitre boxes found in the wild, this reproduction trip clamp will fit and perform perfectly. It is investment cast from 304 stainless steel.

It is priced at $38 plus shipping and is available from Loon Lake Tool Works.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Very neat! Added to my tool buying list.

Reading the wedpage description, there is discussion of the challenge of tooling up to make spade-type thumbscrews. Would it be blasphemy for me to suggest picking a COTS thumbscrew with roughly that size screw and changing the tapped hole to match for that thumbscrew?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
On my list as well. Way back in the 70s and early 80s we used a Stanley box for trim, but none had the trip clamp. I suppose the old guys thought it added time to our tasks?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-12-2024, 05:35 PM)iclark Wrote: Reading the wedpage description, there is discussion of the challenge of tooling up to make spade-type thumbscrews. Would it be blasphemy for me to suggest picking a COTS thumbscrew with roughly that size screw and changing the tapped hole to match for that thumbscrew?

I've been looking for a modern version of this thumbscrew, but have not had much luck. The Stanley thread is a #10-28. The closest I've found is a #10-32, but the head is considerably different. The original was cast, while the new one appears to be stamped.

If you know of a source for new screws with the appearance of the old one, I'm all ears!

In the meantime, I purchased a small quantity of cast screws with 10-24 threads from eBay and will be evaluating their suitability when they arrive. It is not a sustainable solution, but may allow me to get a few out there for the older mitre boxes.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com