mulch options for grass seed
I've used them all and what I like best is renting a powered lawn reseeder. Cuts grooves into the soil, seeds fall in, lots of germination. Not to be confused with a dethatcher, which is similar, but does scratches rather than cuts into the soil. Here, in the mid Atlantic, trying to reseed now is much harder than in the fall.
Straw holds up pretty well from wind. It's probably going to be watered twice a day in the beginning. It lays down pretty quickly after a few watterings. Just don't put too much down. Grass may come up and die with straw matted over the seed. I just kind of sprinkle over the seed. You should be able to see the seed and soil through the straw The seeds will sprout on top of the soil as long as it gets water and isn't pummeled by sunlight and traffic. The straw casts shade on the seeds keeping the soil moist longer. And it holds up longer than cellulose.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-25-2024, 02:19 PM)joe1086 Wrote: I've used them all and what I like best is renting a powered lawn reseeder. Cuts grooves into the soil, seeds fall in, lots of germination. Not to be confused with a dethatcher, which is similar, but does scratches rather than cuts into the soil. Here, in the mid Atlantic, trying to reseed now is much harder than in the fall.

Also called a verticutter
VH07V  
or its called a slit seeder.  You can run it "dry" (no seeds) and use it to thatch the yard too.

Not the most relaxing lawn machine I've used when I did it 10+ years ago.  I thatched, then seeded one direction then seeded 45 degrees to that (to keep the lawn from looking like row crops).
I always laughed at what they called “self propelled”.
VH07V