Woodnet Forums
Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? (/showthread.php?tid=7204032)

Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - anwalt - 01-26-2016

Looking for a chain hoist for my garage.

Do woodnetters have comments on HF chain hoists, other than that they are not expensive.

Alternatively, what should one look for in a used/craigs list chain hoist?

thx for your comments.
tom

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - jteneyck - 01-26-2016

I've had a 2 ton HF one for about 7 or 8 years. I use it to lift logs, pull logs occasionally, pick up or drag machinery, etc. Some of the logs weighed well over a ton. It's always worked fine.

John

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - Foggy - 01-26-2016

I have no experience with them but if I was to buy I would look it over very closely. Chinese steel and iron castings are not noted for quality

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - mike4244 - 01-26-2016

A friend has a 1/2 ton HF chain hoist for several years now. He repairs small engines like snow machines ,lawn tractors etc.I never heard him complain.
mike

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - Bill Wilson - 01-27-2016

Have no experience with them whatsoever, but just wanted to pass along a comment a co-worker once made about HF. He says his rule of thumb on HF tools is; "If it can kill or maim you if (when) it fails, don't buy it at HF."

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - TDKPE - 01-27-2016

HF has the 1-ton rated units on sale right now for $55. I don't know how you can beat that. I don't like the lever types, at least when trying to accurately lift or place a load. The lever types are useful for pulling and squaring and stuff like that, out in the field at least.

With one caveat: if you intend to lift loads approaching the rated load of 1-ton, I'd go for the 2-ton unit, which is only a little more money (about $70). It is HF, after all.

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - anwalt - 01-28-2016

Seeing no complaints about the HF chain hoist I will take a chance.
2 ton hoist for 500 to 1000 lifts.

thx for replies
tom

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - meackerman - 01-28-2016

that true with stuff from lots of different manufacturers.

I see stuff at other stores that looks identical to the stuff at HF for about the same price ....might even come out of the same factory.

Re: Harbor Freight chain hoist - comments? - christopher1260 - 01-28-2016

I've got the one ton hoist and love it. You won't be disappointed.