If you were to build a new shop...
Cabinet Monkey Wrote:200A service w/ a 42space panel
A lot of people suggest this, and it's certainly better to err on the side of bigger, but I couldn't figure out a combo of machines that I would run at the same time that would max out a 100 amp panel, so that's what I went with. I figured I'd only ever run two big things at a time (dust collector plus a machine, with my planer pulling the most amps), plus LED lighting (small load) and maybe some batteries charging (small load). So think through what you might actually use simultaneously, leaving room for expansion and bigger motors/machines.

If you have multiple people using the shop at the same time, as you mentioned, then perhaps 200 amps is the way to go.

I fully agree with as many slots in the panel as possible to allow lots of individual circuits. Anything you run simultaneously (that's decent sized) should be connected to separate circuits. And lighting on it's own circuit so it's you trip something, you also don't end up being unable to see! Could be dangerous.

Tyler
(07-31-2023, 07:58 PM)jteneyck Wrote: 10 ft ceilings minimum.  Dust collection ducting under the floor if at all possible. 

It's very possible. Mine is in concrete.
You'll need to make a parts flow diagram with machine placement, then add some extra inlets.
Need good suction, not just make due. My blower is outside the shop.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-31-2023, 05:32 PM)blanning Wrote: If you were going to build a new shop from scratch, what would you do or not do?

I mean everything, like type of construction, building shape and size, building features, machines to definitely have or avoid... anything.

Well it just so happens that I just built a new shop.

30x50 all metal building which I think you should consider.  Even though I built homes for a living and was fully planning on building my shop, I was looking at doing it at the height of lumber prices.  At that time, I saved $15k over just the lumber prices and they built the metal building AND they built it in one day!!  The crew did a great job.  One thing about the size, I have seen it mentioned the bigger the better and I don't believe that.  I look at it much like the work triangle in a kitchen.  If it is too big then there are two many steps to get things done.  

I spent a LOT of time on the layout before anything was done.  I put together four large sheets of graph paper and then cut out different colors of construction paper scaled to represent each machine, dust collection, outlets and lighting.  It was very helpful in getting all the machines set so that there is room around each one of them.  Also was VERY helpful when I submitted the exact point of every machine drop to the company that figured the final layout for dust collection.  I used the 22ga clamp together duct.  Expensive but oh so nice.  Easy to change things!

The metal building used 2 1/2" square tube for the main structure.  I then had the building spray foamed.  I then stripped out with 2x4's screwed to the square tube.  1/2" drywall over that attached with large headed screws so that any of it can easily be taken down and put right back up.  I have already down that a couple of times.  Obviously no mud and tape.

I used no windows.  Didn't want them because of security and the fact that the shop is not right by my house.  As far as light, I looked online and found a lighting calculator so that could figure the number of lumens that I needed.  I used 4' LED lights.  The kind that can be linked together.  I used 30 lights and I had already planned where my outlets needed to be in the ceiling.  All the lights have cords on them which is kind of unsightly but if one ever goes out, it will be a breeze to change it.  I will get a few more just to light up a couple of areas a little better.

I put in a 200 amp service and would never consider anything else.  I did not fill it and probably never will but the difference in cost between a 100, 150 and the 200 is negligible.  I was going to use a Square D panel and breakers which was the brand I always used in homes but an electrician friend of mine said it was waste money so I went with the cheaper ones, I think they were Seimens.

The ceiling height is 10' in the middle and like 7 feet on the sides because of the truss construction.  The shorter sidewalls has never been a problem for me.  I personally would not put dust collection under the floor unless you had a basement to be able to access it.  Once again, the duct hung on the ceiling might not be aesthetically pleasing but it does not bother me.  My dust collector is a Clear Vue with an 8" inlet.  Some have talked about venting outside but as you stated, that increases heating and cooling load.  I figured that if I vented mine outside, it would empty all the shop air in about 8 min and as you stated that has to be made up by outside air.  Sometimes when the CNC is running the DC might be on for 90 minutes.  On a hot day (more the concern in Ok) or a real cold day, the minisplit would not be able to keep up, not to mention the hit on the utility bill.

I have a dedicated spray room that has a filter in the door to filter all incoming air.  I used an exhaust fan from Menards and it works great.  It has the louvers on it so that even when it is not running it provides a little bit of a barrier for insects and weather.  When I am not spraying I take the fan out and insert a plug that I screw in place.  It makes in weather tight.  When running the exhaust fan I do have to open a door a crack to let in air.  The fan works so well, there is no "fog" when I spray.  Very happy with how it works.

I want to re-emphasize how important I think planning is.  My BIL gave me crap about the lengths I went to when designing and laying out the shop but I think it was time well spent!!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask or message me.

Have fun,

Toney
(08-12-2023, 06:03 PM)iublue Wrote: .  My dust collector is a Clear Vue with an 8" inlet.  Some have talked about venting outside but as you stated, that increases heating and cooling load.  I figured that if I vented mine outside, it would empty all the shop air in about 8 min and as you stated that has to be made up by outside air.  Sometimes when the CNC is running the DC might be on for 90 minutes.  On a hot day (more the concern in Ok) or a real cold day, the minisplit would not be able to keep up, not to mention the hit on the utility bill.

So here's a compromise I did.. I have a Clearvue also.  At the outlet of the cyclone it goes like this : outlet, filters, wooden box with cleanout.
I ran 6" sewer and drain pipe from the wooden box (after the filters).  I put a 6" valve on  it.  I ran the sewer and drain pipe near a basement window.
So now, occasionally, I can open up the window, friction fit a piece of 6' sewer and drain pipe , open the valve between the wooden box and the window and have the cyclone blow outside.
So I sometimes do this when using the drum filter.. to avoid having all the fines build up.
But the beauty of it is, once a year or so, I can blow the cyclone outside, the outlet air blows the filters out for me.. I get a huge cloud of dust outside, my filters get a good cleaning.. Just have to run it like that for 5 or 10 minutes.. then I can close the valve and have the cyclone run totally inside and I get much better suction as I've blown off all the fines that were clinging to the inside of my filter.
If you don't have a drum sander, and only use your cyclone for tablesaw, planer, and jointer, maybe there's not as much of a need to blow out the filters from time to time.
Just an idea I wanted to share, I'm not saying you did anything wrong iublue.. they way you have it is fine, obviously.
(08-17-2023, 04:32 PM)paul2004 Wrote: So here's a compromise I did.. I have a Clearvue also.  At the outlet of the cyclone it goes like this : outlet, filters, wooden box with cleanout.
I ran 6" sewer and drain pipe from the wooden box (after the filters).  I put a 6" valve on  it.  I ran the sewer and drain pipe near a basement window.
So now, occasionally, I can open up the window, friction fit a piece of 6' sewer and drain pipe , open the valve between the wooden box and the window and have the cyclone blow outside.
So I sometimes do this when using the drum filter.. to avoid having all the fines build up.
But the beauty of it is, once a year or so, I can blow the cyclone outside, the outlet air blows the filters out for me.. I get a huge cloud of dust outside, my filters get a good cleaning.. Just have to run it like that for 5 or 10 minutes.. then I can close the valve and have the cyclone run totally inside and I get much better suction as I've blown off all the fines that were clinging to the inside of my filter.
If you don't have a drum sander, and only use your cyclone for tablesaw, planer, and jointer, maybe there's not as much of a need to blow out the filters from time to time.
Just an idea I wanted to share, I'm not saying you did anything wrong iublue.. they way you have it is fine, obviously.

That is a great idea!  I will have to look at implementing that idea in the future.

I do have a drum sander but I also I have one of those filter shakers that ClearVue just recently put out.  I wonder what % of fines it removes from the filter but I guess I will find out when I do a good thorough cleaning in the future.
I used ClearVue's box for the bottom of the filter stack but I think I will eventually do what you did and build my own.  It is not easy to clean it out since it only has a 4" opening.

Thanks for the input.
(08-25-2023, 06:44 AM)iublue Wrote: That is a great idea!  I will have to look at implementing that idea in the future.

I do have a drum sander but I also I have one of those filter shakers that ClearVue just recently put out.  I wonder what % of fines it removes from the filter but I guess I will find out when I do a good thorough cleaning in the future.
I used ClearVue's box for the bottom of the filter stack but I think I will eventually do what you did and build my own.  It is not easy to clean it out since it only has a 4" opening.

Thanks for the input.

Yep, I let too many fines build up in my cyclone, It noticably lost suction over time.. even though I would occasionally hit the side of the filter to make the dust fall into the "bottom box".
I would clean out the bottom box by sticking a shop vac hose through the opening.. so that part worked well.
Anyhow, I bought new filters, the cyclone worked so much better. I am hoping that periodically "blowing it out" as explained above will prolong the filter life.. so far , so good.