What do yall think about that Rip-it?
(08-20-2023, 12:12 PM)Tapper Wrote: A couple of years ago an ad for this introductory product dropped into my e-mailbox. I liked the way it looked and worked and IIRC there was an "introductory" price. Bought one and installed it on my SawStop PCS. Have used it a few times and have to say it's pretty handy. Does not intrude on normal saw usage when not engaged.

In full disclosure I'm not a huge fan of Woodpecker as a company (separate story) but I do like this product. 

Doug

Just curious, anyone here with a Sawstop tablesaw look at the three minute video I linked above? If so, what were your impressions?

Doug
Doug,

I have one on my Pcs. I use it for two things. I can set a stop for a cut I may need to repeat. And when I'm trying to get a specific size I use the screw to dial it in.

It is worth the price to me.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(08-28-2023, 10:41 AM)cpolubin Wrote: Doug,

I have one on my Pcs. I use it for two things. I can set a stop for a cut I may need to repeat. And when I'm trying to get a specific size I use the screw to dial it in.

Cliff

Yeah Cliff, my thoughts precisely. The few times I've used mine I've found it very handy. The "dial-in" setup for dadoes is also very nice. I would definitely buy it again.

Doug
(08-27-2023, 10:12 PM)Tapper Wrote: Just curious, anyone here with a Sawstop tablesaw look at the three minute video I linked above? If so, what were your impressions?

Doug

I saw a video on that a while back and made my own version for a lot less.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(08-29-2023, 12:05 PM)meackerman Wrote: I saw a video on that a while back and made my own version for a lot less.

Got pics to share?

Doug
(08-28-2023, 10:41 AM)cpolubin Wrote: Doug,

Cliff

Yes I agree with you, Just use it to dial it in, but how much do you turn the screw and what if you overturn the screw, then what? And can you use it on a bandsaw fence or a router table? I am not saying what you have is not good, why not make it even better?

Tom
Cliff

Yes I agree with you, Just use it to dial it in, but how much do you turn the screw and what if you overturn the screw, then what? And can you use it on a bandsaw fence or a router table? I am not saying what you have is not good, why not make it even better?

Tom

I haven't done it but it would be easy to figure out how much change comes from a full revolution and extrapolate from that. If you overturn the screw you just back it off. Since the amount is controllable it's easy, as opposed to trying to bump the fence back half as much without overshooting.

If you could figure out how to mount it on a bandsaw I can see where it could be useful. I have no idea how you could make it work on a router table. I've got an Incra on mine so there's no need.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(08-27-2023, 10:12 PM)Tapper Wrote: Just curious, anyone here with a Sawstop tablesaw look at the three minute video I linked above? If so, what were your impressions?

Doug

I saw the video and I agree it could come in handy. And if a person wants one for ( it is on special for $149.99 at the present)and things tend to go on sale if they aren't selling, then by all means buy one. I do have a few questions though. How often are you cutting  Dados that you need this ? It will work fine for one Dato, but it will need to be readjusted to cut a second Dato in the same piece  and the same holds true for multiple pieces. How many different places can you use it?

Yes, I know that the lead and pitch on a single lead screw are the same. For example a 1/4-20 threat will advance .050 per turn and a 10-32 will advance 1/32nd per turn and a 3/8 -16 will advance  1/16th in one turn but a 5 /16- 12 is .082. 

One can guess at 3/8th because 1/4 turn is 1/64ths and it works out.  but again what if you get it right for the first Dato but miss the second one a little?  And then how about the thirds Dato ? Now if you divide 1 by 64 you will get .0156  Yes measurements can be taken and one subtracted to get the total movement and so on but when that measurement for the fit is known then the move the fence to the Dato location and the known dial indicator will allow the exact fit movement to proceed.

Another use is on a band saw. How many times have you wanted to rip a board down the middle? You set the fence and take starting cut , flip it oner and start another cut ,only to finf out it is mot in the center so now it is a tap, tap until you get it right.  How is that working out for you? it is much easier with a dial indicator.

Did I mention I stick it at the far right end of my rip fence for storage. I turn off the magnet and I have it in my hand. 

Now I am not making a dime telling you this but it will improve your results for far less money if you try it.  So what ever you decide it is your dime.

Tom

Tom
(09-04-2023, 10:12 AM)cpolubin Wrote: Cliff

Tom

I haven't done it but it would be easy to figure out how much change comes from a full revolution and extrapolate from that. If you overturn the screw you just back it off. Since the amount is controllable it's easy, as opposed to trying to bump the fence back half as much without overshooting.

If you could figure out how to mount it on a bandsaw I can see where it could be useful. I have no idea how you could make it work on a router table. I've got an Incra on mine so there's no need.

Cliff
How about the initial fence set up to bearings and when bearings are different diameters?  I have a Incra fence on my router table and it is adjustable in between  setting but I still use it for toughs times.

Tom
(09-04-2023, 10:14 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I saw the video and I agree it could come in handy. And if a person wants one for ( it is on special for $149.99 at the present)and things tend to go on sale if they aren't selling, then by all means buy one. I do have a few questions though. How often are you cutting  Dados that you need this ? It will work fine for one Dato, but it will need to be readjusted to cut a second Dato in the same piece  and the same holds true for multiple pieces. How many different places can you use it?

Yes, I know that the lead and pitch on a single lead screw are the same. For example a 1/4-20 threat will advance .050 per turn and a 10-32 will advance 1/32nd per turn and a 3/8 -16 will advance  1/16th in one turn but a 5 /16- 12 is .082. 

One can guess at 3/8th because 1/4 turn is 1/64ths and it works out.  but again what if you get it right for the first Dato but miss the second one a little?  And then how about the thirds Dato ? Now if you divide 1 by 64 you will get .0156  Yes measurements can be taken and one subtracted to get the total movement and so on but when that measurement for the fit is known then the move the fence to the Dato location and the known dial indicator will allow the exact fit movement to proceed.

Another use is on a band saw. How many times have you wanted to rip a board down the middle? You set the fence and take starting cut , flip it oner and start another cut ,only to finf out it is mot in the center so now it is a tap, tap until you get it right.  How is that working out for you? it is much easier with a dial indicator.

Did I mention I stick it at the far right end of my rip fence for storage. I turn off the magnet and I have it in my hand. 

Now I am not making a dime telling you this but it will improve your results for far less money if you try it.  So what ever you decide it is your dime.

Tom

Tom

If you don't like this product and do not want to spend the money for it, by all means don't. IMO it is a good product, has been handy to have and has worked nicely the few times I've used it. I plan to do more woodworking this winter and will probably have the occasion to use it more then.

Like a lot of other tools it's not something you use every time you turn on your tablesaw. The good news is that the design is such that it does not interfere with the other operations of your tablesaw when not being used.

Just an FYI - additional stops are available making settings for additional cuts easy to set up. In the end, we are talking about joints in wood and not metalworking where tolerances are typically much tighter.

Doug