i blew it... gasoline
Patsfan said:

The human sense of smell tends to kind of reset after a while. Time will take care of that, or through the magic of the human brain, the presence of another
recognizable odor will as well. I would suggest you entertain a family of skunks. Inviting a presidential candidate or Rosie O'Donnell to dinner would be over the top.

Pour a gallon of bleach down the floor drain in the basement. She'll forget about the gasoline....maybe.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

It's not a new problem. There are many articles on line on this very subject.

Here is one: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-...ne-smell#b

I would try the vanilla extract method first. Go to Sam's Club or one of the other Warehouse clubs and buy a large bottle of vanilla extract. pour it in the same hole as the gasoline. Dilute it 1:1 with water if you need a larger volume.

The vinegar method is cheaper but vinegar does not smell too good either.

Or google "getting rid of the smell of spilled gasoline" for more information.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
get some charcoal that doesnt have lighter fluid in it. crush it up, put it in a pan, and set it down there.
Gasoline odor is one of the most persistent odors to deal with. About the only way to deal with it is to dig out all the dirt. Depending on how much you poured into the hole, you may have to excavate five or more feet down and five feet or more wide. Flooding with water just causes the gasoline to further penetrate the dirt.

You may try some firm like Serv Pro who specializes in smoke and odor remediation.
Howie.........
Howard Acheson said:

Gasoline odor is one of the most persistent odors to deal with. About the only way to deal with it is to dig out all the dirt. Depending on how much you poured into the hole, you may have to excavate five or more feet down and five feet or more wide. Flooding with water just causes the gasoline to further penetrate the dirt.

You may try some firm like Serv Pro who specializes in smoke and odor remediation.

Exposure to UV light (sun light) will eliminate most odors from most substrates. So if you are going to dig it out you might as well just spread it on a tarp and let the sun do its thing.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
How are the fumes getting into the basement?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

How are the fumes getting into the basement?

i think the answers in the OP.
The only thing you Can do is leave the dug hole open and let it air out- it will dry up in time. I wouldn't use any more water on it- though water, theoretically may push the gas back up to the surface (density thing), it may also just push the gas deeper . Turn the soil every day or so.
There is a dangerous chemical in gas you don't want to breathe too much of. Maybe use fans in the space to keep fresh air in there.

Push come to shove, you may have to remove all that soil and replace it. Depends on the wife and how much gas you actually poured down there.
Kitty litter on whatever the gas came in contact with .
A few years ago I used gasoline to douse a yellow jacket's nest that was under my back porch. The entry hole was only a foot or so from the basement wall. I only used, perhaps, a 1/4 cup of gasoline, but the smell was noticeable in the basement and lingered for several days. It was only a faint odor, so nothing to worry about, but I was surprised that I could smell it in the basement at all.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?