Bee hives- material choice?
Made a few out of redwood. Discovered the power of propolis and splintery wood. Pine works much better, especially with Carnolian bees!
I don't think hives are built for the ages, but as disposables in the event of disease. Or death of queen.

Don't know, and only those posting know what variety of "cedar" (none are in the US) they are recommending.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse said:

Don't know, and only those posting know what variety of "cedar" (none are in the US) they are recommending.

Incredible

If there is a Lowes, HD, or Menards nearby they can order it in if it's not sitting on the shelves, which I imagine it is.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
My in laws worked for A.I. Root and Root made the hives out of pine. Father in law had hives that he made for 30 years
Kiln dried pine. One of my aunts used to raise bees.
My uncle always built her hive boxes from kiln dried pine.
Don't use air dried wood, because it can harbor those bee mites that cause colony collapse.
HTH.
I make my hives out of whatever I can get my hands on for the least amount of money. That usually turns out to be pine. Sometimes its construction grade dimensional lumber so it get resawn and run through the planer to bring it down to 3/4.

I go to Sherwin Williams and ask for the mis-tint paints and select a high quality outdoor paint. SW mis-tints are five bucks a gallon. Getting a good paint on the outside is more important than what the wood is. The bees will propolize the inside hive faces of the wood, no need to worry about them.

edit to add: beesource.com has plans if needed.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Herb I understand wet wood could be problematic, but kiln dried pine in my area would cost me more than shipping in KD Cypress.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Commercial hives are pine. Probably due to cost. I like western red cedar, fir works too. Pretty much any non treated wood suitable for outdoor use will work. I don't think bees are as picky as beekeepers.
Top bar hives are much easier to build than commercial style hives.
Kenya style top bar hives are a good way to go for hobby bee keepers. I have Warre hives (a different style of top bar hive) and will be switching. The KTB hives seem to work better in my climate.
Google "the Barefoot Beekeeper". It's a great reference for top bar hives.
Rodney
Steve N said:

Herb I understand wet wood could be problematic, but kiln dried pine in my area would cost me more than shipping in KD Cypress.

You don't have the BORG near you? They sell it all day long my friend.
Steve N said:

[blockquote]MichaelMouse said:

Incredible

If there is a Lowes, HD, or Menards nearby they can order it in if it's not sitting on the shelves, which I imagine it is.

[/blockquote]

NONE of the "cedar" varieties native to the us is of the genus Cedrus. Thus, they are not cedars. Just as "poplar" as sold in the Borg is not a poplar, but a magnolia.

Common name across several species among the "cedars", so a reccomendation by common name is meaningless, as I said.

Common names come from everywhere. This, BTW, is the real robin. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...943%29.jpg British bird, you know.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.