Kreg K4 system
(07-30-2016, 10:25 AM)varkpilot Wrote: It's that time of yr again when the LOML asks "What do you want for your birthday?"

I've been reasonably happy with my mini-kreg kit but seeing some videos showing the "K4" does make me drool a little!

I don't use pkt hole joinery that much but I'd bet I'd use it more with the K4.

What say you?

Sent you a PM but you have them disabled. Can you turn it on or send me a PM?

Michael
I'm new to this forum, but I've been using the K5 for 2 years now. Not only having the clamp in the front is a plus, the whole clamping mechanism is easy to adjust and have larger pad. The K5 comes also with some kind of wings to support longer pieces. The collar adjustment is not that difficult. I bought a Kreg Foreman few months ago. However, the K5 is still in use because it's easier to shift from micro to HD and back to normal. I'd strongly recommend getting a portable base (ITEM#: KPDGB) for the times when it's easier to take the jig to the pieces.

Khalid.
If you can't fix a mistake, change the design!! Few will notice, even less will mind!!
(07-30-2016, 02:41 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have the K4 (Master kit, I think), and it was a Christmas gift before the K5 came out. While I agree that the handle in front is a better idea, that doesn't (IMHO) make the K4 obsolete. It's quite usable, and nice to have. If you are contemplating the K4, it will do everything you need...but you don't want to second guess yourself for not buying the K5 if you think you want it.

+1  I find that the K4-MS is totally workable for 95%, and probably higher, of the pocket holes I need to make. 
I have the K4, if you can get the version that comes in the tool box with the screw storage (almost like a fishing tackle box) that also has the selector wheel and a couple clamps, I think it's well worth it. I have even added a few clamps. The handle being behind the jig is only a pain if you're using it on really wide boards, like a plywood case or something. If you're primarily using it on narrow boards for face frames or something, you can almost use it sideways, clamp with left hand, drill with the right. 

All that said, I'm sure the K5 is a nice tool, especially mounted solidly to a surface. Depends on your usage. You said occasional user, so I assume you like to put it away after each use, that's one reason I like the tool box.
Benny