bed rail hardware
(01-18-2024, 10:43 AM)Willyou Wrote: Have you considered bed bolts:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/highp...CZf1WwG14Q
They are a bit different but work very well; especially if used in conjunction with a non-glued mortise and tenon.
Based on your concerns above, there are a couple of advantages; First, they are totally removed for transport so there are no edges to scratch anything. Second, they pull the joint together by simply tightening the bolt.
A disadvantage is the the footboard bolt heads will be exposed. But, that can be delt with by using decorative covers:
https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/s...-bed-bolts

I did...I think this design is too ---- "clean" to use those and cover them effectively.  On other designs, the covers would actually enhance the look.  Thanks for the suggestion though!
Well - if it were me (and I guess you could say it was since a built a bed a number of years ago!) -  I would not go with inset (i.e., knock-down) bed rail fasteners and instead go with the classic, tried, true and traditional bed bolts. Yes – they are a bit more difficult to install BUT, (IMO) more authentic and much more secure – once they are tightened up the bed is going nowhere!
Bug 
(01-18-2024, 11:20 PM)Don_M Wrote: Well - if it were me (and I guess you could say it was since a built a bed a number of years ago!) -  I would not go with inset (i.e., knock-down) bed rail fasteners and instead go with the classic, tried, true and traditional bed bolts. Yes – they are a bit more difficult to install BUT, (IMO) more authentic and much more secure – once they are tightened up the bed is going nowhere!

^^^^^
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My choice when I built my bedframe was to go with tenon the rails set into mortise on the posts with bed bolt to hold the junction tight. Hiding the access to the bed bolt was simple, as the bed design included "corbels" on the posts. The plugs in the corbels are not glued and they can be removed for access to the screws holding them in place. Then the question of how to take the bed apart after I'm gone came to mind. I described the procedure for dismantling the bed on a printout which is affixed to the plywood mattress platform
Been slowly plugging away, but its done.  I went with the this style for the rails.  I used the end-mount mortise style to mount the headboard to the legs.  While I really liked the idea of using sliding dovetails for that, I was a little worried about moisture making that unmovable at some point.  The headboard essentially "hangs" on the legs.  The hardware is completely hidden.  It doesn't move easily...when it is pushed down hard, it is not easy to lift it off.

I just set it up in the living room where there was space and a little cleaner than the garage.  Not great pics, but here it is.
rail hardware

headboard hardware

Other pics of the bed:

(that head board leg isn't as stubby as it looks in the pic...its same height as foot board)

Very nice work.  Well done, indeed.

Every project is a process of looking at alternatives and choosing which work best for a particular situation and set of constraints.  I think the choices you made met the criteria very well and will do their job as intended.  

John
Nice job. Love it! I suggested bed bolts, but your choice was correct.
(03-14-2024, 09:50 AM)Willyou Wrote: Nice job. Love it! I suggested bed bolts, but your choice was correct.

Thanks!  Might use bed bolts in the future.  I hadn't heard of them before and appreciated the suggestion - they look like a great option for the right design.
It's been delivered...she doesn't have a king mattress yet, so it's just set up with a queen on it for now.  "Customer" seems happy, so I'm happy!

Elegant, Have you designed the "bedside tables" yet?
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!