Cute router plane from Aliexpress
(02-08-2024, 08:43 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I guess I'm paranoid too and I try my best not to send money to China. Difficult to do these days but I try!

I wouldn't give them my debit card info, but credit card I'm not too worried.
(02-08-2024, 03:15 PM)Ricky Wrote: I wouldn't give them my debit card info, but credit card I'm not too worried.

With all of the stolen data in this country we experienced it’s highly probable the Chinese Communist Party already have all of your private information. 
Laugh
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(02-08-2024, 01:36 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Seriously, how am I not gonna buy one of these for $1? OK, I'll have to buy 11 to get free shipping but still, I gotta try one now.

Look carefully at your image. I think that one dollar price is for a blade, only. You would have to select the little image of the full plane to get the price of the plane. I think most people make that mistake at 1st glance.
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!
(03-03-2024, 09:24 PM)DaveLeard Wrote: You would have to select the little image of the full plane to get the price of the plane. I think most people make that mistake at 1st glance.

That misleading cheap price is the one thing that I really dislike about AliExpress.  On the balance, their delivery has gotten very quick.
It's all wood.
(01-28-2024, 11:29 AM)Admiral Wrote: Call me paranoid, but I'll pass on putting my credit card number in Alibaba systems - which are held in China.  Yeah, it may be ok, but I don't trust their security and privacy systems.  Or China, for that matter . . .

You could get/have a CC just for infrequent P.R.C. purchases - that would limit your exposure.
Aldi chisels redux?
(02-08-2024, 03:15 PM)Ricky Wrote: I wouldn't give them my debit card info, but credit card I'm not too worried.

There are lots of Neobanks now online where you can register for free, request a Virtual Credit Card for free, deposit to your account even by bank transfer, and use your money with the Virtual card. You can even lock that card between purchases, that means noone can steal from the card. Or if you think the card data has bee stolen, delete the card and request a new one.
(02-07-2024, 08:27 PM)Ricky Wrote: Just arrived.  Nice tool for $14.91. 

[Image: 53515782366_0414fcebe6.jpg]

I have just had time to test this tool a few months after it arrived. It works perfectly. Out of the box. Not even sharpened it. Cut a groove for an insert in beech.

Only 2 weak points I found: the locking lever on the back can get loose easily as you move the tool around and your hand accidentally touching it, but it can be avoided, just take care. And the tip of the blade got loose for me by the end of the carving process. Could refasten it with the appropriate screw bit. I tightened it quite much, but later there may be need for adding screw locking glue to it, or do something to fix it there permanently.

The only thing I regret it did not come with an additional blade that has that pointed tip, that are included with the old Stanleys. But maybe you could machine something like that, or find one at Aliexpress.
(03-11-2024, 04:09 PM)Bencuri Wrote: there may be need for adding screw locking glue to it, or do something to fix it there permanently.

Yes

You probably know this already- Use the Blue Loctite if it’s available to you, that way it’s reversible.

The cutting part of the blade is held in place with said screw, correct?  If so, I’ll bet it would be pretty simple to make a pointed blade for it with some O1 tool steel…
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(03-11-2024, 09:46 PM)Nordic Wrote:
Yes

You probably know this already- Use the Blue Loctite if it’s available to you, that way it’s reversible.

The cutting part of the blade is held in place with said screw, correct?  If so, I’ll bet it would be pretty simple to make a pointed blade for it with some O1 tool steel…

Theoretically it is possible, but given the situation that the screw came loose already at normal use, I'd worry about the thread becoming completely loose on frequent changes. Maybe better not replacing that part ever. On the other hand, given the price is so low on this plane, it might be worth just buying another one, grind its blade, and that's it, no need to spend time on changing blades, but there is a plane dedicated for every task. If you think it over: some replacement blades from particular brands cost much more than this complete plane.