Woodnet Forums
how do you get rid of a piano? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: how do you get rid of a piano? (/showthread.php?tid=7323964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Kansas City Fireslayer - 10-17-2016

Turn it into small pieces. Sledge, saws all, hammer. I wouldn't waste my back to move it whole.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - PaulJohnstone - 10-17-2016

Please do not give it to a charity.. Especially if some poor guys are going to have to exert themselves to haul it.
I say this because it seems like it is impossible to repair and is poor quality to begin with.

I second the idea of using a sawzall or something like that to cut it up.
I guess if you are really industrious, you could save the keys and ebay them as unknown material unless you can get someone to identify them for sure.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - daddo - 10-17-2016

You could let little kids play with it. By the time their done, you can just sweep it up.

Put a smoke bomb in it and call the fire dept- after they axe it to death, just bag it.

Get a bag of "Rent a Termites".

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - EricU - 10-17-2016

trebuchet is the best idea so far.  

The veneer on the top of the keys is in two pieces, which sorta suggests it's not plastic.  The internet tells me that ivory was used on good pianos into the '70s, but this isn't a good piano.   Ok, so it could have been bone.  Apparently bone will get a burn mark if you touch it with a red hot needle, and ivory doesn't.  I'll have to test it tomorrow.  Wouldn't want those elephants/walruses to have died in vain.

The black keys aren't ebony, the black is wearing off and they kinda look like walnut or possibly rosewood.  

Sawsall is probably the way I will go.  I know I can get the metal scrappers to take the harp.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - MikeBob - 10-18-2016

Well if the black keys are cheaper material, I would guess the white ones are too.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Bob10 - 10-18-2016

From my experience a good deal of it will be screwed together so if you are going to do it start with a screw driver

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - PedroOhare - 10-18-2016

If you are going to dismantle it to salvage the wood (or other) please be careful. The strings are in a lot of tension and if they 'sprin' suddenly, you could get hurt. Loosen and remove each string separately and only break up the sound board after this is done.

Pedro

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - clockman - 10-18-2016

My mother tried to get rid of hers earlier this year, and the only person that would take it was the junk man, around $275 to haul it away.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - EricU - 10-18-2016

If I tear it to pieces, I will loosen the strings first

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - CLETUS - 10-18-2016

I post a free CL ad, maybe someone wants it for a kid. If not, start breaking and / or cutting.