Woodnet Forums
Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? (/showthread.php?tid=6602890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - paulmaine - 12-20-2013

My favorite spokeshaves are the Harris made in Costa Rica. Harris recently went out of business. There was a set of six for sale- $368 at the Shelter Institute in Woolwich, Maine. The set had a nice wooden box that they came in. I loved the style and presentation. They had a special look.

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Belle City Woodworking - 01-03-2014

Thanks again to everyone that responded. I ended up getting the Flat and Rounded VERITAS Spokeshaves with the PM-V11 blades. They are very nicely made, fit great in my hands, and worked flawlessly on my test cuts. I will be giving them a vigorous workout on my current Trestle Table project.

Thanks again!

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Martin S. - 12-21-2014

Bump

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Justin McCurdy - 12-22-2014

+1 for the standard Veritas spokeshaves. I have about 10 different brands, mostly old'uns, but the Veritas outperforms even the handmade wooden ones. Everything else I have either chokes on the chips, leaves a less than stellar surface, or chatters too much for me to feel confident.

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Paul K. Murphy - 12-22-2014

A rusty sardine can outperforms the handmade wooden ones.

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Herebrooks - 12-23-2014

I'm really surprised no one has mentions the LN Boggs spokeshaves.

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Timberwolf - 12-23-2014

Because of the adjustable mouth on the #53, it's one of my favorites, John...I also like a really good boxwood shave with a brass lined mouth opening and low angle blade. I have a mint un-named shave here with brass thumb screws to adjust the depth of cut, and it is usually my "go-to" shave, because the blade is hollow ground and the boxwood feels so good in the hand....Osborne made some nice boxwoods and there are many from the UK.

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - Belle City Woodworking - 12-23-2014

Thanks Jack!

Re: Your Favorite Spokeshaves and why? - iclark - 12-23-2015

Bump

Re: Your Favorite Spokshaves and why? - toolemera - 12-23-2015

I'm with you on the adjustable mouth shaves. These are my favorite for repairing old furniture. Maybe a few bucks more than the standard versions but worth it!