Woodnet Forums
Yet another belt sharpener... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Yet another belt sharpener... (/showthread.php?tid=6889014)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Window Guy - 12-02-2014

No problem Chris, thanks for doing this and of course Mark for sharing this project. Now I need to find a cheap motor.

Steve

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - CLETUS - 12-02-2014

As I've screwed around trying a few different springs, its official, with my idler you need the heavier spring. But since, I've had the heavy spring on and off 10 times, I realized there is a problem. The spring is a pain in the butt to put on, I started to wonder if some of you old timers were going to have a problem with it.

It had been taking me several attempts... As long as 5 min before I got lucky.

Here is the solution, it took 2 seconds to put it on... With minimal effort.

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - MarkSingleton - 12-02-2014

Good plan. I pull out tent stakes the same way!

Planning on my build of this, I am wondering if there is any reason to worry about the dusts and filings getting into the motor? I note in your photos that it seems to head that way.

MarkSingleton said:

I am wondering if there is any reason to worry about the dusts and filings getting into the motor?

That is above my pay grade.

I doubt it, since my delta is setup similar. I can't say for sure because there is a cover over it, blocking my view to see if there is a filter of some sort.

I did some looking with a flashlight and thought about it some more. I was turning / sanding the drive wheel on the motor. I'm pretty sure that is the only reason for the build up. I'll clean it off and see what happens.

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Window Guy - 12-03-2014

Now that is another slick idea , thanks for sharing.

Steve

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Timberwolf - 12-03-2014

There's been a tool on the market to install tension springs like that for 100 years,.called a "brake spring tool" of all things!!!! ...Made like pliers, one end is a lever with a "spoon shaped" end on it ..Put it through the eye on the spring and the "spoon" over the peg, and lever it on. You can do the same thing with a flat blade screwdriver but it's a little tricker, because the flat blade of the screwdriver tends to slip off the peg.

In your grinder, if the "superstructure" were taller, it would allow a longer bell crank, and if the pivot location was positioned so the lever was longer at the bottom, it would give more force to tensioning the belt and allow the use of a weaker spring.

The grinding dust CAN enter the motor housing with the belt running in the direction of the motor, and on the Sun Gold machine, you can see in the video that it incorporates a "baffle" or firewall to deflect the dust.. My factory built LoRay machine does not...Bottom line is, if it is easy to build a deflector, it would probably pay off in the long run, but I don't give it too much importance, since motors are pretty easy to come by.

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - CLETUS - 12-03-2014

Timberwolf said:

There's been a tool on the market to install tension springs like that for 100 years,.called a "brake spring tool" of all things!!!! ...Made like pliers, one end is a lever with a "spoon shaped" end on it ..Put it through the eye on the spring and the "spoon" over the peg, and lever it on. You can do the same thing with a flat blade screwdriver but it's a little tricker, because the flat blade of the screwdriver tends to slip off the peg.

lol

I was born a 100 years too late. Instead of a screwdriver, I was using a box end wrench.

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - Timberwolf - 12-03-2014

I have seen younger guys looking at brake spring pliers at flea markets and wondering what they were used for...but they sure saved time when doing a brake job on the old "Drum" brakes. If you were a mechanic, you needed one of those pliers, plus a brake adjusting spoon and spring compressor tool. Totally different tools for disc brakes now...

Re: Yet another belt sharpener... - MarkSingleton - 12-03-2014

I have seen younger guys looking at brake spring pliers at flea markets and wondering what they were used for...but they sure saved time when doing a brake job on the old "Drum" brakes. If you were a mechanic, you needed one of those pliers, plus a brake adjusting spoon and spring compressor tool. Totally different tools for disc brakes now...

Boy do I remember working on drum brakes. Blech.

And I think I will figure a way to add a guard or baffle on mine to deflect away from the motor.