Woodnet Forums
Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=7057298)

Pages: 1 2

Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - mission16 - 07-17-2015

What kind of wood would be good for a handle? This won't be a typical handle but something that will address my carpal tunnel.
I'm think something that would be used for bowls and such as it will be a wide but fairly thin profile.

Thank to all!

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - MSRiverdog - 07-17-2015

I once made new handles for a 50 year old wheel barrow, after the fact I planned the old handle it was......Bubinga.

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - mike4244 - 07-17-2015

Almost any straight grained hardwood,ash,white oak, maple walnut etc.
I made new pot handles from cherry,because I have plenty of it.
mike

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - Phydeaux - 07-17-2015

Interesting question. My wife often uses an OK cleaver that has a sloppy, not-so-OK handle. I have delusions of making and attaching a new handle for it. Of course I'd have to figure out how to remove an old handle then shape and attach a new one, not necessarily in that order....

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - John Mihich - 07-17-2015

Hickory is used for almost all shovels, hammers, etc. It's a great hardwood that gives a bit and springs back. You won't notice it's there. Also it's a cool looking wood.

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - AHill - 07-17-2015

I'd stick with traditional kitchen knife woods. Some of the woods mentioned above are fairly open pored, and would harbor all kinds of food debris, possibly causing growth of harmful bacteria or germs. Traditional kitchen knife handles are beech, walnut, rosewood, and pakkawood (Japanese knives). There are more exotic woods used for kitchen knives, but all tend to be tight grained woods.

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - Bibliophile 13 - 07-17-2015

For a knife handle, just stay away from anything that rots easily. I'd avoid hickory, for example. Walnut would be great, though.

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - chips ahoy - 07-17-2015

One of the exs uncles made a chefs knife for me. The wood o the handles is Cocobola. He did a nice job shaping the handle. No finish was used.

Mel

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - mission16 - 07-19-2015

Where is a good source for rosewood or cocobolo?

Re: Need a wood for a cleaver handle. Suggestions? - SteveS - 07-20-2015

I have a ton of african blackwood that I use for most of my handles. Impervious to water damage. I can sell you a stick of 1-3/8+ square and cut it so fit in a SFRB $10 shipped.