Woodnet Forums
Workbench vises - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Workbench vises (/showthread.php?tid=7067184)

Workbench vises - Bennett - 08-02-2015

I'm readying to build a workbench-- Roubo style with minor modifications. Seeking opinions about which vises to use, for both end (leg) and tail vises: Bench Crafted versus Lie Nielsen ??? I'll likely use one or the other set.

Re: Workbench vises - Phil S. - 08-02-2015

Are you considering Hovarter vises? I've heard good things about them - in the same company as BC and LN.

Re: Workbench vises - cpolubin - 08-02-2015

I have the Benchcrafted Classic Leg vise and Wagon vice. Really like them both. No complaints at all. I have no experience with the LN versions so will defer to someone who has.

Cliff

Re: Workbench vises - Philip1231 - 08-02-2015

I have the LN vises on my traditional bench: couldn't be more pleased with them. No experience with the BC vises.

Re: Workbench vises - Boatman53 - 08-02-2015

I have the LN screws on the bench I built (with the chain) and the are without a doubt very nice. They have roller bearings where the handle bears on the chop for a very smooth action. But on a general utility bench I have a Hovarter quick release "screw" with the chain for a quick release no pin leg vise and it works very well, wish he had come out with it before I built my bench.
Jim

Re: Workbench vises - Bartee - 08-17-2015

I have Horvarter twin and tail vises on my bench. I love them. They are a precision install and a little different from anything else, but after some use, I really like them.

There are NO screws. So to put a box in the twin vise, I just slide it open, put the box in with my left hand, use my hip to snug the vise face and make a 1/4 - 1/2 turn and the box is tight. Simple.

Installing the Twin vise and tail vise on one side is a challenge. This should be carefully design before you set the legs etc.

Interesting find ... I just went to the website. It seems that Len ( Horvarter ) has something new coming. So he is VERY actively involved in a better design. Horvarter Web Site.

My Bench Build

Link for Horvarter specific build days

Re: Workbench vises - Anji12305 - 08-18-2015

An inexpensive alternative is to mount a Moxxon vise, permanently.

I adopted David Barron's approach, adding sintered bronze bushings
to the small adjustment knobs but without the return springs.

The basic layout is shown on his blog:
http://davidbarronfurniture.blogspot.com/2012/07/bench-crafted-moxon-vice.html

Search YouTube for a video of the modifications to the wheels,
and installation of the return springs (which I don't need, as my
assembly has far less play - the bushings keep things in place).

It's rock-steady and a fraction of the cost of the Hovarter
(which I consider to be the pinnacle of this design).

Re: Workbench vises - rwe2156 - 08-18-2015

I think you need two vises a front vise and an end vise.

For an endvise, I really like the wagon wheel type vise, but for the bench I'm about to start on, I'm pretty set on going with the traditional tail vise. I think its time-tested and extremely versatile.

Front vise: I like the idea of a Roubo style leg vise combined with the sliding dog fixture (whatever its called).

The vise that's shown is also good.

I think a benchtop Moxon is the best way to go if your back is needing it.

Re: Workbench vises - smithgl12 - 08-20-2015

I am in the process of installing a Veritas Twin Screw on the front of my bench. I couldn't' bring myself to spring for the Horvarter, but I love that design. If I were building a leg vise I'd do it this way.
Leg Vise with a Linear Bearing

I still may put one of these on the back of my bench if I don't end up putting it against the wall. the linear bearing has all the advantages of the BC cross design but is way cheaper.