Woodnet Forums
Birdhouse - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Birdhouse (/showthread.php?tid=7125677)

Birdhouse - mranum - 10-23-2015

Earlier this summer the Mrs. and I went to visit the last remaining brother of my Dad's. He's 87 now and I really just wanted to spend time with him before I couldn't. Anyway before we left to come back home he asked if I was still into woodworking and offered me a piece of Walnut that was given to him by another brother(another fine craftsman!) some 30+ years earlier. It was a 4x4 that was left over from a bedroom set he had made for his wife. It didnt take long to get it in the car. Well I was trying to come up with something to make from part of it to send them as a thank you and this is what I settled on.

I never attempted a celtic knot before and my glue joints are not spot on but I think they will like it just the same.

Used Ash veneer for the knot, another piece of Walnut I had in the shop for the base, Cocobolo for the perch and brazing rod for the hanger.

Re: Birdhouse - chips ahoy - 10-23-2015

Very nice indeed, looks to me like you did a fine job on that knot. I like the finish as well. I am sure they will love it.

Mel

Re: Birdhouse - Shop Dad - 10-23-2015

Beautiful! Very nice work all around. Did you hollow from the top then add the roof as a separate piece?

Doug

Re: Birdhouse - Woodshop - 10-23-2015

very nice job the birdhouse grain looks more like mahogany
they will love it

Re: Birdhouse - mranum - 10-23-2015

Yup started out with the body, hollowed with a forstner bit for most of it then turned the top after I parted of the body.

The wood in person has a more "milk chocolate" type color to it, I think the flash from the camera affected the look as well. I know it also depends how Walnut is dried, air vs kiln, as to how rich the color is.

I used Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish for the finish.

Re: Birdhouse - Arlin Eastman - 10-23-2015

First I would like to say that I am proud of you for going to see him and I know he loved having you.

The bird house is wonderfully done and I really like how you did the birds.

Where did you get them?

Arlin

Re: Birdhouse - Steve K - 10-23-2015

Very nice! Birdhouse ornaments are one of my favorite things to make this time of year.

Re: Birdhouse - chips ahoy - 10-23-2015

Arlin
You can get the birds at Craft Supply.

Mel

Re: Birdhouse - mranum - 10-23-2015

Thanks guys. These birds I picked up at Hobby Lobby.

We spent a week up there and had a ball. Saw a lot of family history including the farm where my Dad was born. Best part was the barn my Grandpa built 75 years ago was still in use!