Woodnet Forums
YC-8J replacement belts? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: YC-8J replacement belts? (/showthread.php?tid=7142469)

YC-8J replacement belts? - Aram - 11-13-2015

What's a good source of replacement belt for a Yorkcraft YC-8J jointer? I believe it's the same as a DJ-20.

Thanks.

Re: YC-8J replacement belts? - paarker - 11-13-2015

Napa, take your old one down, and have them match it up to a knew one.

Re: YC-8J replacement belts? - Aram - 11-13-2015

paarker said:

Napa, take your old one down, and have them match it up to a knew one.

Cool, thanks.

Re: YC-8J replacement belts? - WoodTinker - 11-13-2015

Or try the red link belts.

WoodTinker said:

Or try the red link belts.

Funny you should say that. I bought some years back because of all the praise. Then was told (on the forum) that link belts are a no-go. Anyone know why the controversy?

Re: YC-8J replacement belts? - fredhargis - 11-13-2015

I don't know what was being said back then, but there's usually a disagreement on using link belts on machines that have more than one belt. The argument goes that you should only use matched sets when you have paired belts. There is another wrinkle on this, I was told for years by our power train engineers that you don't use link belts on multiple belt drives. The reason being that the belts set in over time, and 2 belts will never wind up the same length, Kinda makes sense if you think about it. Anyway, back to the matched belts....that was true many years ago, but the new belt manufacturing procedures are so good I no longer worry about matched sets as long as I buy trusted brands (Goodyear, Gates, etc.). For the link belts, I still don't like using them in sets...but I did contact Fenner about it. They said it's perfectly OK to use link belts in multi belt drives, they equalize in lebgth after a short run time.

fredhargis said:

I don't know what was being said back then, but there's usually a disagreement on using link belts on machines that have more than one belt. The argument goes that you should only use matched sets when you have paired belts. There is another wrinkle on this, I was told for years by our power train engineers that you don't use link belts on multiple belt drives. The reason being that the belts set in over time, and 2 belts will never wind up the same length, Kinda makes sense if you think about it. Anyway, back to the matched belts....that was true many years ago, but the new belt manufacturing procedures are so good I no longer worry about matched sets as long as I buy trusted brands (Goodyear, Gates, etc.). For the link belts, I still don't like using them in sets...but I did contact Fenner about it. They said it's perfectly OK to use link belts in multi belt drives, they equalize in lebgth after a short run time.

Thanks! Looks like I'm set.

Re: YC-8J replacement belts? - JGrout - 11-13-2015

link belts are fine for single sheave applications.

it is the use on multi sheave units that caused the red flags...

In your case it will be just fine......

Joe