Woodnet Forums
Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint (/showthread.php?tid=7261764)

Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Philip1231 - 04-08-2016

When cutting the dovetail socket to join the top drawer rail to the table leg, I had relied on chisels. Recently, I treated myself to a LN small router plane, and I was surprised at how well it handled end grain trimming of the bottom of the socket. Easy to dial in the exact depth of the socket with a perfectly clean surface. Nice!

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Steve N - 04-08-2016

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier. Having a flat bottom as your base let's you just work on taking corner meat out. Try it, you'll like it.

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Blacky's Boy - 04-09-2016

Steve N said:

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier.

Ok, you've got me curious now. What's all this about using a forstner bit? Got a link or anything?

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Strokes77 - 04-09-2016

If you're going to do that, it would be better/faster to use a trim router right? you could hog out most of it that way

Nice.

I have a small brass router plane that I use in a similar fashion. But mostly for cleaning out small mortises.

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Alan S - 04-09-2016

I'm not so sure it would be as helpful drilling into endgrain, but here is a link to Schwarz's approach to removing half-blind dovetail waste with a drillpress.

Ok, got it!

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Philip1231 - 04-09-2016

What is all this heresy of forstner bits and trim routers: have respect for the zen experience that is handtool woodworking

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - MauleSkinner - 04-09-2016

Steve N said:

Do a Schwarz and start the thing with a forstner bit, and it will be even easier. Having a flat bottom as your base let's you just work on taking corner meat out. Try it, you'll like it.

My wife says I have a flat bottom, but it doesn't seem to help my dovetailing...

Re: Router Plane for a Dovetail Joint - Steve N - 04-09-2016

wrong bottom