Woodnet Forums
An Odd CHisel - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: An Odd CHisel (/showthread.php?tid=7267419)

An Odd CHisel - Downwindtracker2 - 04-17-2016

My fleamarket finds today included an odd chisel. A picture is worth a thousand words but with my computer skills, a thousand words. It's a well made 3/8" bevel edge chisel, 8 3/4" long. Here's the interesting thing, the steel goes through the 7/8" round handle. the wood side scales are held on with a couple of 3/8" steel bands. There is no trace of a stamp. I have seen one like that in my web wanderings but I can't remember where. Age is taking it's toll.

Re: An Odd CHisel - lilrichard2 - 04-17-2016

I had one, like you described, a few years ago - sold it to Gregory of Sherwood Forest. Maybe he'll chime in here and post a picture.

r2

Re: An Odd CHisel - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 04-17-2016

THis one??

Re: An Odd CHisel - Downwindtracker2 - 04-18-2016

Exactly. Have you any idea who made them and when ?

Re: An Odd CHisel - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 04-18-2016

No idea. It is only marked GERMANY. Nothing else. I've seen another in about 5mm size, but the owner wouldn't sell it and had no more information than I.

Re: An Odd CHisel - Phil S. - 04-18-2016

Looks like an iron maiden Everlasting.

Re: An Odd CHisel - Downwindtracker2 - 04-18-2016

Thanks. That's a lot more information than I had before. Though it is 3/8" and not 10mm, the wood is beech, more likely, a European made. An interesting chisel.

For the $3,I also picked up a Swedish 1 1/2" Kronan socket bench chisel without a handle,a find, and a rusty Japanese made 1 1/4 Fuller #60 clone butt chisel. These Fullers work well on the camper where there may be an odd staple.

Thanks again, finding the history makes the rusthunt much more interesting.