Woodnet Forums
Would you confess? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Would you confess? (/showthread.php?tid=7287082)

Pages: 1 2

Would you confess? - MsNomer - 05-21-2016

Stepson is a competent carpenter, but ignorant of many WW techniques. When he saw the counter in my van, he remarked, "Wow, it must have taken a lot of time to glue all those layers together!" I opened my mouth to say, "All I did was screw three layers of ply together," but I confess I just didn't say anything.

Re: Would you confess? - petertay15 - 05-21-2016

I don't see what there is to "confess" about a well-made countertop, But perhaps it's easier to discuss things with certain people more than others. Is it the relationship or the technique that keep you from explaining?

Re: Would you confess? - K. L. McReynolds - 05-21-2016

I probably would have agreed and made up a story about laminating 42 layers of special order Baltic birch 4" wide strips, after having to buy a $400 vacuum press outfit and 6 gallons of vacuum press wood glue.

Confess?

Really?

Re: Would you confess? - Robert Adams - 05-21-2016

K. L, McReynolds said:

I probably would have agreed and made up a story about laminating 42 layers of special order Baltic birch 4" wide strips, after having to buy a $400 vacuum press outfit and 6 gallons of vacuum press wood glue.

Confess?

Really?

Yup same here.

Re: Would you confess? - Mr_Mike - 05-21-2016

Edit: Since its a stepson, I'd probably ask why he thought that rather than the obvious answer of laminated plywood. A stranger, I'd wonder their competence ad keep my mouth shut.

As an aside...That's a fantastic counter top (and cabinet as well). Was it one piece and carefully cut out, or two-piece and template routed to match? What do the butler hinges of the left end do?

Re: Would you confess? - Steve N - 05-21-2016

Carolyn, a lot of us would smile if you gave us a pictorial tour of that buggy some day. It has been a work in progress. From that pic it looks like the kitchen is hidden into a space made for travel.

A lot of what you see in Carpentry may look like something other than what it really is too. Having done a fair amount of both I guarantee there are differences. At least he appreciated there were layers. A lot of people looking at BB ply on edge wonder what those funny lines are for

Re: Would you confess? - Arlin Eastman - 05-21-2016

Carolyn

You are doing a absolute fantastic job and you should feel proud. I do not know if it would make any difference is saying it our not, but he should have known better then to ask a question like that since he should know that.

Well done, well done.

Arlin

Re: Would you confess? - Leinie - 05-21-2016

I start with explaining how difficult it was to evenly peel the layers from the log.

Re: Would you confess? - fredhargis - 05-21-2016

You got it just right; both the non-answer and that wonderful looking galley! Well done.

Re: Would you confess? - AHill - 05-21-2016

Tell him the truth. He's your husband's son. Trust beats deceit any day of the week. Better to learn from family than from someone who'd grant him less mercy.