Woodnet Forums
Plane decison - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Plane decison (/showthread.php?tid=7314332)

Plane decison - Ingjr - 07-07-2016

With my birthday coming up I decided to buy myself something nice. (self-centered I know) My choice is down to the BU Jack Plane from LV or the BU Jack Rabbet plane from LV. My question, would the more expensive Rabbet plane be worth the extra $50 and is there any thing the regular Jack plane would do the Rabbet plane would do much worse or not at all. BTW, I'm not new to planes but I am a part time novice. Life is full of tough decisions, help me spend my money folks. TIA

Re: Plane decison - Derek Cohen - 07-07-2016

The BU Jack Rabbet plane is an amazing plane. It genuinely can be used in almost any reasonably conceivable situation. It is the true Swiss Army Knife. However, I prefer having dedicated planes, and separates are the way for me. If you want the best combination bench plane, then consider the Jack Rabbet.

I wrote a comprehensive review with illustrations here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasJackRabbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Plane decison - Admiral - 07-07-2016

If you don't consistently have the need for the rabbet function, I'd go with the regular Jack. But then again, I've rarely had the need for a rabbeting bench plane that I couldn't work around. Depends on the work you do. I don't have the rabbet, but the Jack is a great plane and I would expect the same of the rabbet..

Re: Plane decison - AHill - 07-07-2016

If you plan on shooting with your plane, I'd opt for the LAJ. The Jack Rabbet by its nature would continuously take shavings off your shooting board.

Re: Plane decison - Bibliophile 13 - 07-07-2016

If you already have a good jack plane, why not go for the jack rabbet? There have been plenty of times that I've wanted a good-sized rabbet/shoulder plane, mostly for truing up tenons and the like. It's not on my short-list, but definitely one the "nice-to-have" list.

AHill said:

If you plan on shooting with your plane, I'd opt for the LAJ. The Jack Rabbet by its nature would continuously take shavings off your shooting board.

Oh I don't know about that, Allan .... it seems to me to do a perfectly good job!

(A little tongue-in-cheek ... see my review for details. Still, it really can shoot well).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Admiral said:

If you don't consistently have the need for the rabbet function, I'd go with the regular Jack. But then again, I've rarely had the need for a rabbeting bench plane that I couldn't work around. Depends on the work you do. I don't have the rabbet, but the Jack is a great plane and I would like expect the same of the rabbet..

The LA Jack cannot do this ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Plane decison - Window Guy - 07-08-2016

I don't own one yet but if you all ready have a Jack I would go for the LA Rabbit plane. Just my $.02 !

Steve

Re: Plane decison - Admiral - 07-08-2016

No, it can't, but like I said, nothing I can't work around, as with using the skew rabbet, which is a bit more useful for me in my work than would be a jack rabbet:

Re: Plane decison - cputnam - 07-08-2016

The only negative I can see to the Jack Rabbit is that it must handled with extra care to avoid leaving red stains in the wood. Maybe I extrapolate too much from the Skew Rabbit. Every time I handle that puppy, I cut myself.