Woodnet Forums
how do you get rid of a piano? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: how do you get rid of a piano? (/showthread.php?tid=7323964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Robert Adams - 10-18-2016

(10-17-2016, 04:26 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Sit out by the curb with a sign that says $150. Someone will steal it.
Laugh
Laugh

Seriously, give it to the Restore. They may even pick it up.

Funny the restore has a sign saying they wowon't accept pianos as donations along with a couple other items.

Not much usable wood to reclaim in most. However there is allot of usable piano wire. Its the most useful item in a piano along with other odd hardware.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - JosephP - 10-18-2016

What do you use the wire for?

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - CLETUS - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 02:16 PM)JosephP Wrote: What do you use the wire for?

garrote

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - JosephP - 10-18-2016

That was the only thing I can think of. Are piano strings really any better than other instrument strings for that (guitar/bass/cello would seem a lot easier to access)? And do you really need 88 of them?

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - vernonator - 10-18-2016

(10-17-2016, 07:07 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Large sledge hammer,easier to move in small pieces.

Mel

This - I did harvest some panels and the keys/strikers for a future project. Then broke up the harp with a sledge and put it in my dump pile (advantage of living on acreage).

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 10-18-2016

My neighbor removed the sound board with all the strings still attached, and sold it separately as art. He got $200 for it. The rest is easily broken apart and can go in your trash.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Admiral - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 02:16 PM)JosephP Wrote: What do you use the wire for?

Making springs.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - JDuke - 10-20-2016

I knew a neurosurgeon that used new sterilized piano wire to attach bone flaps back to the skull.

Don't think he would recycle used wire though.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - Stwood_ - 10-20-2016

I had an old upright give up and started leaning back against the wall in the house.
Friend came over and we were going to load it and haul it off. Couldn't get it from leaning on the wall so hard to get it out the door, so we busted it apart right there.
The string board was cast iron and was a bugger to deal with. We just gradually took all the wood off and cut the strings. Save a lot of the bigger wood pieces and hauled the cast board to the metal recycler.

RE: how do you get rid of a piano? - fredhargis - 10-21-2016

Eric, has any of this helped you form a plan?