Woodnet Forums
Smoke alarm replacement - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Smoke alarm replacement (/showthread.php?tid=7326225)

Smoke alarm replacement - Billm302 - 12-16-2016

I have 7 interwired smoke alarms that need to be replaced. Anyone have specific recomendations, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - Woodenfish - 12-17-2016

BRK smoke alarms are the same quality hard-wired smoke alarms with battery back up sold as First Alert Hard-wired in the plastic bubble packs but are packed in cardboard boxes for way less money.

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - Patsfan - 12-17-2016

If you don't already have CO detectors, this is the time to add some. (You can go with Combo Smoke/CO units.)

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - Mr_Mike - 12-18-2016

I asked a month or so ago and there was not much of a consensus opinion.

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - Andydiy - 12-19-2016

I went with first alert, but I needed wireless interconnect which they offer.  Just make sure they are UL listed and the type of detector they use is also important.  Some fires produce very little smoke and can burn for awhile without the alarm sounding.  You'll have to do google research on that.

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - Mr_Mike - 12-20-2016

I never found all the features in one item. I wanted wired interconnect, 10 year battery, and dual sensor. Can't find it.

RE: Smoke alarm replacement - EricU - 12-21-2016

I did this a couple of years ago, and that's what I found too.  I really wanted the 10 year battery, so I went with those and only have a carbon monoxide detector for one floor.  Now that they want a detector in every room, I should get that set up.