Woodnet Forums
Wooden Handles for Files? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Wooden Handles for Files? (/showthread.php?tid=7328460)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wooden Handles for Files? - thauburger - 03-04-2017

Hi all,

I've picked up a few files over the last few months as I've needed them, but have been using them without handles :/

I don't have access to a lathe to turn my own, so was wondering if folks had recommendations for where I can pick up wooden file handles? I'm not looking for anything super ornate, as I don't use the files that often, but something with solid quality would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Tom

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - Stwood_ - 03-04-2017

Not offhand, but Google shows a lot of results.

And.....have any wood dowels laying around? Jab a hole in the end of one.

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - JIMB49 - 03-04-2017

I was Told By a Guy  he uses golf balls as handles on his smaller files got a laugh from me till I TRIED IT.
 the fit the palm of the hand

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - JimReed@Tallahassee - 03-04-2017

Make a square stick at 4/4 or 5/4. Then use a plane to chamfer all corners--Heavy chamfer. Then cut to length, 3-4 inches each. Drill a stepped hole in the end for the file tang. Or just use corncobs.

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - branchacctg - 03-04-2017

Can probably find some at flea markets or ebay fairly cheap.

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - Phil S. - 03-04-2017

I have some Skroo-zon handles and they work okay -

[Image: EE-FH-297XX_big.gif]

TFWW has them for $2.95 each in a variety of sizes.

But I have a couple of cast iron ones like this one, that I really like -

[Image: antique-cast-iron-stearns-tool-holder-fi...6bc19c.jpg]

A bit cold in the hand and more expensive, but they last a long time. 
Wink  Easy to find on eBay and every now and then you'll see them downstairs in S'nS.

Phil

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - Bill_Houghton - 03-04-2017

Not the season for this solution, but I've heard of folks who use corn cobs - cleaned of the corn, of course.

But do not do not DO NOT use a file or rasp without a handle. If it jams, the tang can injure your hand.

Your local hardware store should have them, unless you're unlucky enough to have a useless hardware store.

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - AHill - 03-04-2017

Skroo-zon are my favorite.  They can be reused and they come in different sizes depending on your file size.

Here's one place to get them:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/EE-FH-297.XX/Skroo-zon_File_Handles

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - porchguy - 03-04-2017

Nicholson makes a file handle that's available at big orange box store. About 5" long, and it's adjustable. I got one and have used it with a few smaller files and going up to about 12" files and rasps. Easy to remove and use on the next one up. It's just under $10 as I recall.
I've got a few larger files and rasps but have a space issue in the tool box so being able to swap handle around works better for me than trying to cram them in the drawer with handles.

RE: Wooden Handles for Files? - Arlin Eastman - 03-04-2017

Sent a PM and if in no hurry will do them in a few months when I get better.