Woodnet Forums
Loading up the big tools - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Loading up the big tools (/showthread.php?tid=7329522)

Pages: 1 2

Loading up the big tools - Aram - 04-16-2017

Moving from California to Oregon. With help from two friends, not even at the same time, we loaded everything into a 15' UHaul in a few hours. I was surprised how difficult this wasn't! It's hard to tell from the bad cell phone photo -- stationary tools are in the back, so they are obscured by other stuff -- but there is a PM66, Minimax MM16 bandsaw, Powermatic 15HH planer, Yorkcraft 8" jointer, Oneida cyclone, big drill press, and lots of accessories. Also a bunch of my most treasured hand tools. I used every ratchet strap I have! The toughest part of the load was the drill press: awkward and top heavy.

[Image: i-SvgZvJ5-M.jpg]

We're getting into Eugene on Monday evening. I hired a couple of pros to help unload, mostly so we can do it quickly. I don't want to keep my new neighbors up late with our noise!

So if you are moving, and are considering a UHaul, go for it. It really wasn't too hard. I did take the rails and extension off of my table saw, the fence and tables off of the jointer, and the top section off of the dust collector. I strapped a home-brew 2x4 trolley with a pair of casters (at the top end) to the bandsaw. We didn't use the ramp. Instead, we tipped the saw against the van, levered the bottom of the saw up -- the top part was free to roll once it touched down -- rolled it in, and stood it up again. Took maybe 30 seconds! The rest, we used a furniture dolly, ratchet straps to to the van (for a little extra assurance) and a little muscle.

So that was all good. This part is disturbing though. Someone parked in my wood shop! That's not right.

[Image: i-qWdLvdC-M.jpg]

RE: Loading up the big tools - Downwindtracker2 - 04-16-2017

Glad you and more importantly your tools survived. My wife is talking about moving farther out, moving the shop scares me. My bench top machine tools weigh 1100 # each.

RE: Loading up the big tools - Bob10 - 04-16-2017

I told you the fear is the hardest part to get over the first time.

RE: Loading up the big tools - Aram - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 11:52 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I told you the fear is the hardest part to get over the first time.

And I believed you! Piece of cake.

when I move presses I lower the head and table on the pole to get a lower center of gravity.  I took one apart once but that was way too much trouble.  The most difficult was a PM 1150 alone and in a hurry.  I felt that one for a couple of days

RE: Loading up the big tools - doobes - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 11:55 AM)Aram Wrote: And I believed you! Piece of cake.

Does U-Haul still pop you for $.59/mile in addition to the daily rental fee?

RE: Loading up the big tools - Robert Adams - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 11:44 AM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Glad you and more importantly your tools survived. My wife is talking about moving farther out, moving the shop scares me. My bench top machine tools weigh 1100 # each.

Same here but it's cross country. Why is it so hard to get a box truck with a lift gate for cross country trips? My shop and other tools are going to take the biggest truck they have...

(04-16-2017, 12:34 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Why is it so hard to get a box truck with a lift gate for cross country trips?

So that in a couple decades, you can laugh at the lift gate people and talk about the old days when men were men.

Did you put the 66 on the furniture dolly?  I find that to be the easiest way to get them moving.  I picked up a 5hp Uni yesterday tipped it into the van took about a minute

(04-16-2017, 01:34 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Did you put the 66 on the furniture dolly?  I find that to be the easiest way to get them moving.  I picked up a 5hp Uni yesterday tipped it into the van took about a minute

Sure did. Went quickly.