Loading up the big tools
Moving from California to Oregon. With help from two friends, not even at the same time, we loaded everything into a 15' UHaul in a few hours. I was surprised how difficult this wasn't! It's hard to tell from the bad cell phone photo -- stationary tools are in the back, so they are obscured by other stuff -- but there is a PM66, Minimax MM16 bandsaw, Powermatic 15HH planer, Yorkcraft 8" jointer, Oneida cyclone, big drill press, and lots of accessories. Also a bunch of my most treasured hand tools. I used every ratchet strap I have! The toughest part of the load was the drill press: awkward and top heavy.

[Image: i-SvgZvJ5-M.jpg]

We're getting into Eugene on Monday evening. I hired a couple of pros to help unload, mostly so we can do it quickly. I don't want to keep my new neighbors up late with our noise!

So if you are moving, and are considering a UHaul, go for it. It really wasn't too hard. I did take the rails and extension off of my table saw, the fence and tables off of the jointer, and the top section off of the dust collector. I strapped a home-brew 2x4 trolley with a pair of casters (at the top end) to the bandsaw. We didn't use the ramp. Instead, we tipped the saw against the van, levered the bottom of the saw up -- the top part was free to roll once it touched down -- rolled it in, and stood it up again. Took maybe 30 seconds! The rest, we used a furniture dolly, ratchet straps to to the van (for a little extra assurance) and a little muscle.

So that was all good. This part is disturbing though. Someone parked in my wood shop! That's not right.

[Image: i-qWdLvdC-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Glad you and more importantly your tools survived. My wife is talking about moving farther out, moving the shop scares me. My bench top machine tools weigh 1100 # each.
A man of foolish pursuits
I told you the fear is the hardest part to get over the first time.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-16-2017, 11:52 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I told you the fear is the hardest part to get over the first time.

And I believed you! Piece of cake.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

when I move presses I lower the head and table on the pole to get a lower center of gravity.  I took one apart once but that was way too much trouble.  The most difficult was a PM 1150 alone and in a hurry.  I felt that one for a couple of days
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-16-2017, 11:55 AM)Aram Wrote: And I believed you! Piece of cake.

Does U-Haul still pop you for $.59/mile in addition to the daily rental fee?
chris
(04-16-2017, 11:44 AM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Glad you and more importantly your tools survived. My wife is talking about moving farther out, moving the shop scares me. My bench top machine tools weigh 1100 # each.

Same here but it's cross country. Why is it so hard to get a box truck with a lift gate for cross country trips? My shop and other tools are going to take the biggest truck they have...
(04-16-2017, 12:34 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Why is it so hard to get a box truck with a lift gate for cross country trips?

So that in a couple decades, you can laugh at the lift gate people and talk about the old days when men were men.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Did you put the 66 on the furniture dolly?  I find that to be the easiest way to get them moving.  I picked up a 5hp Uni yesterday tipped it into the van took about a minute

Phil Thien

(04-16-2017, 01:34 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Did you put the 66 on the furniture dolly?  I find that to be the easiest way to get them moving.  I picked up a 5hp Uni yesterday tipped it into the van took about a minute

Sure did. Went quickly.
Best,
Aram, always learning