Woodnet Forums
Diamond Lapping stone question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Diamond Lapping stone question (/showthread.php?tid=7333488)

Diamond Lapping stone question - sniper - 09-24-2017

Ok, it's getting close to Christmas list time I'm trying to come up with things. One item I've thought of is a diamond lapping/slipstone. I've found 2 that look good, but with a vast price difference and am wondering if anyone has used both to let me know if the expensive one is worth it?

They are:
from Craft Supply for $30: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/96/-/5695/EZE-Lap-Big-Diamond-Honing-Stone

From Alan Lacer for $88: http://stores.alanswoodturningstore.com/diamond-slipstone-hone-600-grit/

Thanks for the help.

Steve

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - AHill - 09-24-2017

I have the Lacer stone and I highly recommend it.  The Craft Supplies stone is simply a flat stone.  Fine for skews or convex surfaces, but the Lacer slipstone allows you to hone the inside curve of gouges, and that makes it more versatile.

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - Arlin Eastman - 09-24-2017

(09-24-2017, 01:05 PM)sniper Wrote: Ok, it's getting close to Christmas list time I'm trying to come up with things.  One item I've thought of is a diamond lapping/slipstone.  I've found 2 that look good, but with a vast price difference and am wondering if anyone has used both to let me know if the expensive one is worth it?

They are:
from Craft Supply for $30: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/96/-/5695/EZE-Lap-Big-Diamond-Honing-Stone

From Alan Lacer for $88:  http://stores.alanswoodturningstore.com/diamond-slipstone-hone-600-grit/

Thanks for the help.

Steve

I do not have Alan's but some credit card ones and some round ones that work for us pretty well but I really like this Spyderco Ceramic File Set with Pouch ones the best

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IXQLK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I bought them they were only $24

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - Ed Eldridge - 10-04-2017

I have Alan Lacer's stone and use it all the time. The rounded edges are great for getting in the groves of the gouge. I have had it for several years.

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - SteveS - 10-05-2017

I bought one of the sharpening stones from Lee Valley but only use it for kitchen knives.

I think they are overkill for most turning tools except the skew, which can be sharpened using less expensive methods.

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - iclark - 10-06-2017

(10-04-2017, 07:05 AM)Ed Eldridge Wrote: I have Alan Lacer's stone and use it all the time. The rounded edges are great for getting in the groves of the gouge. I have had it for several years.

I have 2 of Alan Lacer's "stones." I picked up one of them when he was one of the headliners at the VA Woodturning Symposium some years back. The other one, my sister & BIL got for me at that same symposium. The second one was very handy when the first one decided to hide for a while.
Winkgrin

I use it on the skews routinely and on the gouge flutes just before a finish cut.

Woodturning Wonders has a CBN version of the Lacer stone that is also 600 grit. I have not seen one in person yet. It is currently on sale for $75.

I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.
Sigh
Blush

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - sniper - 10-07-2017

(10-06-2017, 10:46 PM)iclark Wrote: I have 2 of Alan Lacer's "stones." I picked up one of them when he was one of the headliners at the VA Woodturning Symposium some years back. The other one, my sister & BIL got for me at that same symposium. The second one was very handy when the first one decided to hide for a while.
Winkgrin

I use it on the skews routinely and on the gouge flutes just before a finish cut.

Woodturning Wonders has a CBN version of the Lacer stone that is also 600 grit. I have not seen one in person yet. It is currently on sale for $75.

I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.
Sigh
Blush

Thanks for all the inputs. I've put Alan's stone on my wish list but if I don't get it for Xmas, I might pick up the WW one at the Tennessee Woodturners symposium in January.

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - SteveS - 10-07-2017

(10-06-2017, 10:46 PM)iclar Wrote: I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.  
Sigh  
Blush

Router bits?

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - iclark - 10-07-2017

(10-07-2017, 10:01 AM)sniper Wrote: Thanks for all the inputs.  I've put Alan's stone on my wish list but if I don't get it for Xmas, I might pick up the WW one at the Tennessee Woodturners symposium in January.

If you get the WW one in January, please do a review of it here. I am sure that we would all be interested.

At some point in the future, I expect that my 2nd Lacer stone will go to one of my nieces. With any luck, the other niece and the BIL are each going to want one as well.

I keep saying that I will make it to the TN symposium of of these years, but it is not going to happen this year. After 5 winters in Bleaksburg, it does give me pause before driving to TN in the winter. That, and they keep scheduling professional conferences that I should attend in FL that time of year. This year it is SciTech in Kissimee. Maybe I can do a driving tour of woodworking/woodturning symposia when I retire.

RE: Diamond Lapping stone question - iclark - 10-07-2017

(10-07-2017, 02:48 PM)SteveS Wrote: Router bits?

I appreciate the thought  but not router bits and not auger bits or Forstner bits. I haven't sharpened bits or drills yet. They are on my ToDo list. It might be the miniature turning tools with the interchangeable handles. There was also a time when both of the Lacer stones were hiding and snickering.

I suspect that, the next time that I open that drawer in the rolling tool box, I am going to spend a long time just standing there and holding them to try to get the muscle memory to trigger a neuron.
Sigh

Some days the wonder years are more challenging than others.