Woodnet Forums
Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament (/showthread.php?tid=7335568)

Pages: 1 2

Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - badwhiskey - 12-15-2017

Here's my contribution to making ornaments:

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - crokett™ - 12-15-2017

I wish I was that good with a skew, both sharpening and using it.

Thats's very nice work. I can't show that to my wife or she'll want one.

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - chips ahoy - 12-16-2017

Nice job Frank,I have never made the finials in one piece before,usually make a piece to fit in the urchin and then make the finial.I like your method better.Thanks for the video.

Mel

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - Woodshop - 12-16-2017

nice
Yes

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - AnthonyYak - 12-16-2017

[Image: 76060-200.png]

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - badwhiskey - 12-16-2017

Thanks everyone.  I'm trying to shoot more videos.

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - Phil S. - 12-16-2017

My only gripe is your video didn't show off the final product long enough.  Blink and you missed it.  Watching the first part of the video I was trying to figure how you were going to make an urchin out of that turning.
Rolleyes  Nice job!

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - Arlin Eastman - 12-16-2017

Frank

I loved the work you did and came out nice.
Yes

Crockett

He did not do any skew work.  He only used it as a scrapper.
If you really want to learn how to use it take a pine 2x2x8 and my the time you are done you will know how to use it.

You can use the heal or the toe or in the center or lower 1/3 for what you call skew work.  I highly encourage you to not make anything for a while and just use the skew as I said.  You will have it down in a day.  Check out a few YouTube videos and see how they use it and you will do fine.

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - badwhiskey - 12-16-2017

(12-16-2017, 02:06 PM)Phil S. Wrote: My only gripe is your video didn't show off the final product long enough.  Blink and you missed it.  Watching the first part of the video I was trying to figure how you were going to make an urchin out of that turning.
Rolleyes  Nice job!

Yeah, I agree.  I think for a future one I would put a still photo of the completed ornament at the end.

Arlin, that is a skew.  I think there's glare so you can't see the bevel.  Sometimes I slice with it, and sometimes drop it down to scrape.

RE: Making a Sea Urchin Ornament - Arlin Eastman - 12-16-2017

(12-16-2017, 04:44 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Yeah, I agree.  I think for a future one I would put a still photo of the completed ornament at the end.

Arlin, that is a skew.  I think there's glare so you can't see the bevel.  Sometimes I slice with it, and sometimes drop it down to scrape.

Yes I knew it was a skew but it was mostly used as a scrapper which I was telling Crockett instead of planning the wood like most people think it is mostly used for or how it got its bad rep.
Yes

I can say while planning many times while learning I got some HUGE catches that I had to go change my diaper. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh