Woodnet Forums
Pedestal sink - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pedestal sink (/showthread.php?tid=7336200)

Pages: 1 2

Pedestal sink - matthewstimp - 01-07-2018

We have a pedestal sink in our downstairs bathroom that was originally attached to the dry wall with plastic anchors.  Those anchors have pulled out and in doing so, created a fairly large hole in the drywall (relatively speaking).  The hole is too large for any anchor now, and of course an anchor would not hold if I just patched the hole.  

I need to get this sink secured to the wall.  If this was your issue to handle, what would you do?

Thanks,
Matt

RE: Pedestal sink - Stwood_ - 01-07-2018

Remove enough drywall to fix the anchor hole. Wood can be repaired/replaced.

Pictures would help here

RE: Pedestal sink - cams2705 - 01-07-2018

How about a molly bolt or toggle bolt?

RE: Pedestal sink - Roly - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 01:09 PM)cams2705 Wrote: How about a molly bolt or toggle bolt?

Along the same lines, [Image: wingits-hollow-drywall-anchors-rc-mawsd35-2-64_1000.jpg]These are called Wingits and are rated at 300 lbs, or this  [Image: hilti-hollow-drywall-anchors-3512329-64_1000.jpg]called toggler bolt  Both spread the load more so than a toggle bolt.  Roly

RE: Pedestal sink - matthewstimp - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 01:22 PM)Roly Wrote: Along the same lines, [Image: wingits-hollow-drywall-anchors-rc-mawsd35-2-64_1000.jpg]These are called Wingits and are rated at 300 lbs, or this  [Image: hilti-hollow-drywall-anchors-3512329-64_1000.jpg]called toggler bolt  Both spread the load more so than a toggle bolt.  Roly

Those toggler bolts may be big enough; I'll do some measuring and see. 

The first suggestion of removing and replacing drywall, I am trying to avoid that if I can.  I am miserable at repairing/finishing drywall; it is like it is not in my DNA or something.   But if that is what I have to do, I'll suck it up and figure it out. 

Matt

RE: Pedestal sink - Joel H. - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 02:02 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: Those toggler bolts may be big enough; I'll do some measuring and see. 

The first suggestion of removing and replacing drywall, I am trying to avoid that if I can.  I am miserable at repairing/finishing drywall; it is like it is not in my DNA or something.   But if that is what I have to do, I'll suck it up and figure it out. 

Matt

I was the same way until recently.  All you have to do is cut a new piece of drywall just larger than the current hole.  Then put it over the hole and draw around it with a pencil.  Cut the drywall on the pencil line.  Put a piece of wood behind the new hole and screw it in with drywall screws top & bottom (or both sides whichever way you orient the wood).  take spackling (sp?) and put over the joint and screws.  Sand when dry.  If it's behind / beneath the sink that should do it, then paint it.  I'ts really that easy.

HTH,  Joel

RE: Pedestal sink - doc1 - 01-07-2018

I had the same problem.  I removed the stucco/plaster board over to the studs on either side, inserted a 2 X 6 vertically on its side between the studs, screwed it into the studs on either side, cut a piece of plaster board to cover the hole, and then put the screws to hold the pedestal sink through the new plaster board and into the 2 X 6.  That was ten years ago--no problems at all since then.

Al

RE: Pedestal sink - doc1 - 01-07-2018

I think that Joel was writing while I was writing.  Do what he did--it's basically the same as what I did.

Al

RE: Pedestal sink - Mr_Mike - 01-08-2018

(01-07-2018, 03:53 PM)doc1 Wrote: I had the same problem.  I removed the stucco/plaster board over to the studs on either side, inserted a 2 X 6 vertically on its side between the studs, screwed it into the studs on either side, cut a piece of plaster board to cover the hole, and then put the screws to hold the pedestal sink through the new plaster board and into the 2 X 6.  That was ten years ago--no problems at all since then.

Al

Yes, add structural blocking. I think Joel was suggesting the backing only as a way to hold the drywall patch.

RE: Pedestal sink - Stwood_ - 01-08-2018

Google California drywall patch.
No wood stick required to hold the drywall patch in place.