Woodnet Forums
My first turning in 14+ months - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: My first turning in 14+ months (/showthread.php?tid=7338078)

My first turning in 14+ months - Arlin Eastman - 03-11-2018

and it is for the Mothers day sale with the hand made roses

It is Honey Locust, Black Walnut and Padauk

[attachment=9109]

I hollowed out the bottom first and then added the top and used a 1" forstner bit.
This is the first time I used Honey Locust and had surprising nice figure in it.
I will get a side shot tomorrow since I was not thinking of it but I put a cove in the middle of it with two burn lines which I made out of baling wire.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - AgGEM - 03-11-2018

Very nice!!
Ag

13, 14, 15, 16, there. 17.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - crokett™ - 03-12-2018

Arlin, that's spiffy. I like the honey locust and walnut contrast.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - DFJarvie - 03-12-2018

Very nice. What’s the finish you used?

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - Arlin Eastman - 03-16-2018

(03-12-2018, 06:47 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: Very nice. What’s the finish you used?

Don

I am going to change the finish to wipe on poly which holds up much better and over that I will put on a sun block of 85%.

What it is now is the three Beall buffs and then two coats of Renaissance wax which may look nice but does not hold up with a lot of handling.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - hairy - 03-21-2018

(03-16-2018, 03:50 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Don

I am going to change the finish to wipe on poly which holds up much better and over that I will put on a sun block of 85%.

What it is now is the three Beall buffs and then two coats of Renaissance wax which may look nice but does not hold up with a lot of handling.

Glad you're back in the shop. Nice work!

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - Arlin Eastman - 03-21-2018

Thanks guys

This is the first time I did a hollow form.  I hollowed out the bottom to 3/16" and then glued on the top.  The top did have more Walnut on top of the Padauk and I thought just a little at the top would make it look nicer then just the Padauk on top.

I used the hollower that Tim Yoder sells.  He gave it to us because it has a flaw, but I looked really well and no flaw so he just gave us a brand new one with all the do dads.  I do not know if I told you in the past or not but he gave us all of his DVDs he sold or did on TV.  He did a lot of neat stuff on them.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - sawdust703 - 03-27-2018

good work, Arlin! nice to see you're back in the shop! I'm hopin' to get back in the shop this week myself. I've been out for almost 4 months due to my health. Keep spinnin'!

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - Arlin Eastman - 03-27-2018

(03-27-2018, 11:29 AM)sawdust703 Wrote: good work, Arlin! nice to see you're back in the shop! I'm hopin' to get back in the shop this week myself. I've been out for almost 4 months due to my health. Keep spinnin'!

I hope you get back at it soon buddy.  For me it sure was nice to do it.

RE: My first turning in 14+ months - sawdust703 - 03-29-2018

thanks Arlin! I'm workin' on it! I had 2 heart attacks & a lung enbolism in December. Recoup has been slow, but I'm gainin'. My scroll saws & lathes are goin' to be callin' my buddies & lookin' for some action if I don't get back out there soon!
Wink
Wink And bein' stuck in this chair ain't doin' much for my disposition, either, Sir.

I appreciate the kind words, Mr. Arlin!