Woodnet Forums
Paean to the double square - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Paean to the double square (/showthread.php?tid=7340103)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Paean to the double square - Rob Young - 02-25-2019

My two 12' combo squares (Starrett and Brown&Sharp) both have the 4R scales. I keep both setup so that I'm reading from the 1/16" scale.

My 4" and 6" double squares also have 4R scales and I keep them set up the same way, it reads the 1/16" scale. So as long as I am reading the 1/16" scale left to right and right-side-up, I'm reading the end of the double square that is being referenced on the work. No need for adding tape or other dodges to the double square.

YMMV.

RE: Paean to the double square - BandSawyer - 02-25-2019

I have 2 double squares and use them all the time. I always wonder why I took so long to buy one.

RE: Paean to the double square - Stwood_ - 02-25-2019

I'm still refraining..........too many squares around here now. I only have 2 hands.
Uhoh

RE: Paean to the double square - Gary G™ - 02-26-2019

Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“
Where did you find 12’ combo squares.

Winkgrin

RE: Paean to the double square - Stwood_ - 02-26-2019

(02-26-2019, 06:18 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“

Winkgrin

Rob scours for those special tools.
Winkgrin

RE: Paean to the double square - Rob Young - 02-27-2019

(02-26-2019, 06:18 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Rob Young said, “My two 12' combo squares“

Winkgrin

The best thing about being 12' is they are hard to misplace. So I always find them where I left them.

(12" of course, geeze I need to be more careful proofing things when using the darn phone to post.)

RE: Paean to the double square - hbmcc - 02-27-2019

(02-27-2019, 09:52 AM)Rob Young Wrote: The best thing about being 12' is they are hard to misplace. So I always find them where I left them.

(12" of course, geeze I need to be more careful proofing things when using the darn phone to post.)

And, on WoodNet we are all grammer boys, to.....

Ps. Yes, intentional. However, I would never know if my punctuation is too lean, or too rife.

RE: Paean to the double square - Rob Young - 02-27-2019

(02-27-2019, 11:17 AM)hbmcc Wrote: And, on WoodNet we are all grammer boys, to.....

Ps. Yes, intentional. However, I would never know if my punctuation is too lean, or too rife.

Yep
*too* 
and an ellipsis as three periods in it.

Laugh
Laugh

RE: Paean to the double square - Bill_Houghton - 02-27-2019

(02-27-2019, 01:51 PM)Rob Young Wrote: and an ellipsis as three periods in it.
Except when the ellipsis indicates that you've deleted something that includes a period, when it is acceptable - even, some argue, clearer - to use four periods.  For instance:

"I really like my double square that I bought last year.  Just as with clamps, you can't have too many squares."

"I really like my double square....you can't have too many squares."

RE: Paean to the double square - toolmiser - 02-27-2019

I also prefer a combination square over a double. I can't get the excitement out of a double maybe I am just paranoid that I will use the wrong end.