Woodnet Forums
A stroll down memory lane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A stroll down memory lane (/showthread.php?tid=7343676)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A stroll down memory lane - Timberwolf - 10-15-2018

Remember when some of us made these ?...I think it has been close to ten years now....Kind of a four purpose "multi-tool"...A marking gauge, a beader, a precision layout square and a dovetail gauge all in one compact package...I bonded the brass wear plate to the cocobolo with JB Weld..no screws...and it's still holding !..One has a Lexan beam and the other is brass..One uses a sharpened tool steel pin held in place by friction alone and the other uses an Allen set-screw..The pin on the one with the set-screw can be rotated 90 degrees and it becomes a beader..you can make a pin larger or smaller and with a different shape for different profiles, or for cutting an inlay groove...The basic design was borrowed from a Hamilton gauge and just expanded, but it could be any shape..The construction material could be all wood, all metal, all plastic or any combination thereof...And just about any size...

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27a.jpg]upload image online

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27e.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27b.jpg]

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Skip J. - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 11:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Remember when some of us made these ?...I think it has been close to ten years now....Kind of a four purpose "multi-tool"...A marking gauge, a beader, a precision layout square and a dovetail gauge all in one compact package...I bonded the brass wear plate to the cocobolo with JB Weld..no screws...and it's still holding !..One has a Lexan beam and the other is brass..One uses a sharpened tool steel pin held in place by friction alone and the other uses an Allen set-screw..The pin on the one with the set-screw can be rotated 90 degrees and it becomes a beader..you can make a pin larger or smaller and with a different shape for different profiles, or for cutting an inlay groove...The basic design was borrowed from a Hamilton gauge and just expanded, but it could be any shape..The construction material could be all wood, all metal, all plastic or any combination thereof...And just about any size...

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27a.jpg]upload image online

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27e.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-27b.jpg]

Hello Jack;
I remember that period well, those should last until the end of time, very robust I think. I made some of the other tools back then, but not this one...  Why we were always making tools together back then, and not now, I have no idea.... it seems such a waste.. it's like we are a bunch a hermits...

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Timberwolf - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 01:41 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Hello Jack;
I remember that period well, those should last until the end of time, very robust I think. I made some of the other tools back then, but not this one...  Why we were always making tools together back then, and not now, I have no idea.... it seems such a waste.. it's like we are a bunch a hermits...
Hi Skip.....I think a lot has changed here on the forum..we just don't have as much "participation" in any area when compared to the "olden days", IMO...The activity has been lacking since the new software went into effect but I'm not sure that's the reason..The posting of photos has fallen off dramatically as well..not to mention the activity in the S&S...I love toolmaking and really do enjoy seeing tools that others have made..and I would love to see lots more...That's one way ideas are born..
Winkgrin
Big Grin

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Skip J. - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 01:56 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hi Skip.....I think a lot has changed here on the forum..we just don't have as much "participation" in any area when compared to the "olden days", IMO...The activity has been lacking since the new software went into effect but I'm not sure that's the reason..The posting of photos has fallen off dramatically as well..not to mention the activity in the S&S...I love toolmaking and really do enjoy seeing tools that others have made..and I would love to see lots more...That's one way ideas are born..
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

Hello Jack;

Well that is certainly the case, but for me, back in the downturn I had plenty of time during the day to come here and stay awhile.... now that business is back I need to get it while I can.  I'm lucky to get the time to clean my tools and put'em away.... I have so many unfinished tool projects stashed back I could open a shop...

(10-15-2018, 02:04 PM)Skip J. Wrote: Hello Jack;

Well that is certainly the case, but for me, back in the downturn I had plenty of time during the day to come here and stay awhile.... now that business is back I need to get it while I can.  I'm lucky to get the time to clean my tools and put'em away.... I have so many unfinished tool projects stashed back I could open a shop...

now that business is back I need to get it while I can.

That's one reason I hadn't thought of...but best to pay attention to business..It's what makes it all possible !!!!!!
Laugh
Winkgrin

RE: A stroll down memory lane - EatenByLimestone - 10-15-2018

About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time. I'll blame her, lol.

I used to fish a lot too.

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Arlin Eastman - 10-15-2018

If you take it apart and show me what I need I will make one. 
Yes

(10-15-2018, 06:08 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time.   I'll blame her, lol.

I remember that, Matt...Hard to believe it has been that long...Seems like yesterday you were in Houston..
Wink

(10-15-2018, 06:40 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you take it apart and show me what I need I will make one. 
Yes

Ok Arlin...I will do that tomorrow...
Winkgrin

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Bibliophile 13 - 10-15-2018

(10-15-2018, 06:08 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: About 10 years ago the kid appeared and started eating time.   I'll blame her, lol.

Same here!!!  Now I've got five of them.
Big Grin 

[attachment=13700]

This is the one who started it all.  Now she's big enough to build little things for herself--like this little "fairy table."  Just a dowel, a couple bits of plywood, and a couple nails.  But it sure made her happy.