Woodnet Forums
A stroll down memory lane - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A stroll down memory lane (/showthread.php?tid=7343676)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Stwood_ - 10-15-2018

I made a lot of tools about 10 years ago. I'll have ti dig them out.

Router Jim and others made tools also

RE: A stroll down memory lane - hbmcc - 10-16-2018

(10-15-2018, 10:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I made a lot of tools about 10 years ago. I'll have ti dig them out.

Router Jim and others made tools also

It's always fun to design and make a tool, but can you identify why it's put away and not used? What makes it indispensable? 

Doing dovetails requires several layout tools. Jack's jig is close to a One-for-All multi-tool. Mine always suffer from complexity issues. It might just be easier to have the original various tools. After all I always need a pencil.

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Tony Z - 10-17-2018

(10-16-2018, 11:24 AM)hbmcc Wrote: It's always fun to design and make a tool, but can you identify why it's put away and not used? What makes it indispensable? 

Doing dovetails requires several layout tools. Jack's jig is close to a One-for-All multi-tool. Mine always suffer from complexity issues. It might just be easier to have the original various tools. After all I always need a pencil.

I have one of the Hamilton gauges Jack's is based on. The marking knife makes it one of my most accurate tools for marking baselines for dovetails, BUT I find I do not use it very much. Why? Because the thing was expensive and is so pretty, I guess I'm psychologically afraid of damaging it! (Maybe!).

Like all tools, I seem to have way too many of them, and my most used is my Titemark.

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Blacky's Boy - 10-17-2018

I remember those Jack! In fact you helped me out on a couple of issues. I made a couple of them and gave one to my SS one year. IIRC it was Fr. Peter. I think I still have that drawing kicking around somewhere.

I gave another to my buddy Mike who runs TGIAG with me

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Timberwolf - 10-17-2018

(10-17-2018, 02:55 PM)Blacky Wrote: I remember those Jack! In fact you helped me out on a couple of issues.  I made a couple of them and gave one to my SS one year. IIRC it was Fr. Peter. I think I still have that drawing kicking around somewhere.

I gave another to my buddy Mike who runs TGIAG with me
I also remember you making a couple of them Dom.....and you did an excellent job on them.,..they looked great..I probably still have a photo or two of them somewhere...
Winkgrin

RE: A stroll down memory lane - SCMedLion - 10-18-2018

I didn't make one, but I'm another one who just doesn't find time in the shop the last couple of years. My kids are in the thick of life, ages 11-16, and it's been a busy few years professionally. I hope I can get back to woodworking and toolmaking someday soon. I do miss the picture build-alongs and active discussions.

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Blacky's Boy - 10-19-2018

I recently got back into the shop building a hot wire foam cutter to use in making RC Planes. I got to use my planes to surface the wood and hand saws to cut it to shape. It was very enjoyable and it felt good to spend time in the shop again.

My "bow" as everyone at RC Groups calls them, looks EXACTLY like a bow saw in build and even uses the twine and paddle tensioning mechanism that my bow saw uses. Instead of a saw blade I have mig welding wire held taut between the arms.

[Image: a11286088-244-24in%20hot%20wire%20bow.jpg]

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Timberwolf - 10-19-2018

(10-19-2018, 06:35 AM)Blacky Wrote: I recently got back into the shop building a hot wire foam cutter to use in making RC Planes. I got to use my planes to surface the wood and hand saws to cut it to shape. It was very enjoyable and it felt good to spend time in the shop again.

My "bow" as everyone at RC Groups calls them, looks EXACTLY like a bow saw in build and even uses the twine and paddle tensioning mechanism that my bow saw uses. Instead of a saw blade I have mig welding wire held taut between the arms.

[Image: a11286088-244-24in%20hot%20wire%20bow.jpg]

That's pretty cool, Dom...How much voltage does it require ??

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Blacky's Boy - 10-19-2018

I used the 12V 10a leads from the power supply and then run that through a brushed electronic speed controller (ESC). The servo tester allows me to vary the voltage. It actually works a lot better than I expected

RE: A stroll down memory lane - Stwood_ - 10-19-2018

(10-17-2018, 05:16 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I have one of the Hamilton gauges Jack's is based on.  The marking knife makes it one of my most accurate tools for marking baselines for dovetails, BUT I find I do not use it very much.  Why?  Because the thing was expensive and is so pretty, I guess I'm psychologically afraid of damaging it! (Maybe!).

Like all tools, I seem to have way too many of them, and my most used is my Titemark.

I've got one of Jeff's gauges. Won it in a giveaway I think, long ago. One of his first ones.