Woodnet Forums
Math genius needed, geometry - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Math genius needed, geometry (/showthread.php?tid=7347471)

Pages: 1 2 3

Math genius needed, geometry - Cooler - 04-03-2019

Is there any way to calculate the angles for this star?  I'd like to make a large one for indoor use out of 3/4" MDF using just glue to assemble it.  I was good at geometry in high school but it was nearly 60 years ago and this is pretty complex.  I can figure out the angles for the points and interior corners of the star (as if it were a flat piece).

But how to figure the angles for the 3D depth?

It seems like a pretty easy project once the angles are finalized.  Just cut, glue and tape (for clamping), and then paint.

[Image: generous.jpg]

I can easily make one of these, but it is not what I want.  And I want the star to cover a large area of the wall about 36" across.

[Image: il_340x270.1442743226_m8rm.jpg]

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - mad_planter - 04-03-2019

(04-03-2019, 08:01 AM)Cooler Wrote: Is there any way to calculate the angles for this star?  I'd like to make a large one for indoor use out of 3/4" MDF using just glue to assemble it.  I was good at geometry in high school but it was nearly 60 years ago and this is pretty complex.  I can figure out the angles for the points and interior corners of the star (as if it were a flat piece).

But how to figure the angles for the 3D depth?

It seems like a pretty easy project once the angles are finalized.  Just cut, glue and tape (for clamping), and then paint.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=calculate+angles+for+3d+star

this site has a xls file to calculate them:
https://www.lumberjocks.com/Aggie69/blog/33374

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Phil Thien - 04-03-2019

Draw it in SketchUp and measure the angles.

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Roly - 04-03-2019

Will also need what is the depth to figure the compound miters . Roly

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - FS7 - 04-03-2019

There should not be any compound miters. You might be overthinking it.

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Arlin Eastman - 04-03-2019

I am pretty sure since I do wood turning it goes all by 360 degrees.

You have 5 points with 2 sides which = ten sides

So 360/10=36 degrees each side

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - DaveR1 - 04-03-2019

Like Phil, I'd model it in SketchUp to get the angles. Precise without calculations.

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Cooler - 04-03-2019

Thanks for the video links.  I think I have enough to start figuring out the angles.  I will make a small one to test my math, then the large one.  Should be fun.

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Handplanesandmore - 04-04-2019

News to me that these days, every woodworker uses Sketchup, or knows how to use it!
Uhoh

Simon

RE: Math genius needed, geometry - Admiral - 04-04-2019

(04-03-2019, 11:42 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks for the video links.  I think I have enough to start figuring out the angles.  I will make a small one to test my math, then the large one.  Should be fun.

That looks like a great project.  I'm math challenged, so please post the result, and the measurements, when you are done.  I'd love to make one.