Woodnet Forums
best way to cut a plaster wall. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: best way to cut a plaster wall. (/showthread.php?tid=7348818)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - splinter7612 - 06-18-2019

Imo you don't have to remove that last foot, I have a fiberglass tub surround that ends about a foot from the ceiling also, I tiled that area over the existing plaster 10 yrs ago and never had a problem, it's not going to get wet that high up.

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - brianwelch - 06-18-2019

(06-17-2019, 02:01 PM)stav Wrote: Angle grinder and maybe and attachment like this one found on Amazon. Angle grinder dust shroud

That's pretty slick...In combination with a 1/16" thick cutting blade, the dust should be reduced drastically...

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - stav - 06-18-2019

(06-18-2019, 11:49 AM)brianwelch Wrote: That's pretty slick...In combination with a 1/16" thick cutting blade, the dust should be reduced drastically...

Agreed. I was thinking about getting one of these myself.  Post back if you try it out.

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - Cooler - 06-18-2019

I ordered the shroud.  There are others on the market, but they cost anywhere from $50.00 to $99.00 each.  I will let you know how well it works.  I should have it in time for the weekend when I am scheduled to make dust.
Big Grin

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - Wild Turkey - 06-18-2019

One of those oscillating tools made very short work of some drywall for me -- very straight cut, very little dust.
Wink

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - tomsteve - 06-19-2019

(06-17-2019, 07:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: I need to remove that top foot of plaster and replace it with cement board. 

why?

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - Cooler - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 07:54 AM)tomsteve Wrote: why?

My house, bulit in 1953 has plaster walls.  The plaster walls are apparently a precursor to sheet rock.  They are long panels about 18" wide that are attached to the studs running horizontally.  The panels are about 1" thick and have a carboard backer, and include the metal lath.  

The cement board is about 1/2" thick.

If I leave the plaster at the top (1" thick), I have to build out the wall thickness below if I want to include all tile.  That would create a problem at the bottom for the tub which I am leaving in place.  The resulting tile wall would extend out over the tub's ledge.  It would not look right.  

So I can remove the plaster at the top, or I can paint the plaster at the top.  But I don't see a way to tile to the ceiling with the plaster at the top.  

Additionally there is a framed opening separating the vanity area from the tub area, and I want to remove that for a more open look.  That will require cutting, regardless.

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - Cooler - 06-24-2019

(06-18-2019, 03:49 PM)Cooler Wrote: I ordered the shroud.  There are others on the market, but they cost anywhere from $50.00 to $99.00 each.  I will let you know how well it works.  I should have it in time for the weekend when I am scheduled to make dust.
Big Grin

The shroud arrived.   It appears to be well-made.  However the "universal fit" proved not to be universal enough.  After about one hour of struggling to get this on my Dewalt angle grinder I gave up.  I have an Amazon return authorization number and it will be returned.

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - fixtureman - 06-24-2019

(06-24-2019, 08:05 AM)Cooler Wrote: The shroud arrived.   It appears to be well-made.  However the "universal fit" proved not to be universal enough.  After about one hour of struggling to get this on my Dewalt angle grinder I gave up.  I have an Amazon return authorization number and it will be returned.

Would it fit a Harbor freight grinder

RE: best way to cut a plaster wall. - stav - 06-24-2019

Was it too big or too small?