Woodnet Forums
Woodsmith Coasters... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodsmith Coasters... (/showthread.php?tid=7351842)

Pages: 1 2

Woodsmith Coasters... - Big Dave - 12-16-2019

Not quite as easy as the article implies....
Smirk 

But, they're done! Paduak & Wenge.

[Image: o4eHasG.jpg]

[Image: XScXevL.jpg]

[Image: lTZo5CU.jpg]

I started out wanting to make 5 sets, but I had a few blowouts. I think part of it was the paduak, and part of it was holding a bit too tight in the jig. Shipped'em out today for family Christmas gifts. I hope they like'em...

Dave

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - Stwood_ - 12-16-2019

Well Dave, they look fantastic

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - Turner52 - 12-17-2019

Great project. Something different. I saw the plans and thought about them for Christmas presents too. Maybe next year. Didn't even get started on them. I'm a little slow I guess.

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - MidwestMan - 12-17-2019

You did a very nice job... well done. I looked at the project too and thought it was really cool. However, the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture and these coasters would allow for water to drip on my end tables. Which nixed the whole project for me.

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - fredhargis - 12-18-2019

Very nice gifts, I'm sure they will be treasured.

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - MichaelMouse - 12-18-2019

(12-17-2019, 08:04 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: You did a very nice job... well done. I looked at the project too and thought it was really cool. However, the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture and these coasters would allow for water to drip on my end tables. Which nixed the whole project for me.
Yup, trivets, not coasters, if you consider function.  Nice woodworking, though.

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - shoottmx - 12-18-2019

Geez, they look fantastic. Super workmanship.

g

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - Allen - 12-18-2019

Looks good to me. Is that a David R Ray coffee cup I see? Shared pier space with her in San Diego and Long Beach.

Al

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - Edwin Hackleman - 12-18-2019

Beautiful, Dave! Years ago I made several coasters that were larger than these, based on an article in Wood magazine. They were all done on a lathe using a shop-made jig. When finished, I vowed never to do it again. They turned out fine, but it was excruciating work and nerve wracking. 
Uhoh

Your patience must be next to godliness.

RE: Woodsmith Coasters... - Big Dave - 12-19-2019

(12-17-2019, 08:04 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: the main purpose for coasters is to keep the moisture (water or whatever) off of the wood furniture...

The folks these are going to usually finish their drinks pretty quickly, so I figured they'd be okay....
Winkgrin