Woodnet Forums
expandable garden hoses - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: expandable garden hoses (/showthread.php?tid=7356546)

Pages: 1 2

expandable garden hoses - varkpilot - 07-11-2020

comments???..........just another garden hose gimmick???

RE: expandable garden hoses - Admiral - 07-11-2020

I've always wondered about them as well.

RE: expandable garden hoses - Robert Adams - 07-11-2020

They are just surgical tubing in a constraining sheath. Water flow is very low but they are convienent. Don't expect to water the grass or use it with a pressure washer. I tried it with a pressure washer once and the pressure washer will suck it down and then shut off due to low water pressure. Luckily I brought a real hose with me.

RE: expandable garden hoses - bottd - 07-11-2020

(07-11-2020, 08:14 AM)varkpilot Wrote: comments???..........just another garden hose gimmick???

They will mess with a backflow preventer, in use it will pulse and spray water. Makes a mess, especially in a book storage room of a elementary school where you are cleaning coils on roof top units and that's the closest spigot.

RE: expandable garden hoses - Scouter - 07-11-2020

They s-ck the big one, I've had several. Basically they are expandable tubing inside a covering. I had the metal ones, the tubing eventually (mine was lees than two years) weakened like a hemorrhoid then shoved up between the coils and popped. The material ones failed in a similar manner, just inside the outer material. None laster more than three years. Nice concept, cheap materials.

Al should have listed to Tim and created on with more power! 
Big Grin

RE: expandable garden hoses - Stwood_ - 07-11-2020

Nope. Bought one of the first generation ones several years ago.
Lasted about a month. Nope...nope. Not planning on another one.

RE: expandable garden hoses - Cooler - 07-13-2020

I loved mine for washing the car.  Plenty of water flow and it retracted almost to a small coil.  I ran over the nozzle end with my car and cannot find a replacement.  I now have a version that lays flat, but does not retract.  It is OK, but not as satisfactory as the original. 

If I could find one today, I'd buy two.

RE: expandable garden hoses - Snipe Hunter - 07-13-2020

Wife likes them because they're light. Not at all durable. Leaks, and the ends pull off and if you let it go completely limp, the surgical tubing inside can twist causing a blockage. A pain to try to untwist inside the sheathing. .

RE: expandable garden hoses - Snipe Hunter - 07-13-2020

Don't connect it a regular hose and try to pull that hose with the collapsible one or the end will break off.

RE: expandable garden hoses - Robert Adams - 07-13-2020

Forgot to mention... When I was running the pressure washer at daughters house and had to switch to a real hose... These cheap expandable hoses have aluminum ends and if they are left on the hose bib they will corrode on. I had to butcher the fitting to get it off and nearly broke the hose bib.