Woodnet Forums
Couple band saw boxes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Couple band saw boxes (/showthread.php?tid=7357534)

Pages: 1 2

Couple band saw boxes - shoottmx - 08-31-2020

Watched these FWW videos by Michael Cullen and liked his approach so decided to take a stab at something I'd never done. I like the look of the box he makes in video #6 & 7 so dug in. I'm no carver and with arthritis making it's way thru my hands decided to skip the carving and go for my personal favorite, Bush Oil. BTW, I think these videos are available to watch without a subscription.

I had a perfectly QS cedar 4x4 for my first victim. I do love QS grain so decided to cut off one side to make the top. That was my first mistake. As I went thru the process I got to the point of fitting the top and realized that from the side the top looked like it came from a different piece of lumber.  Grrrrrrrr.

[attachment=29306]

I should have cut the top from the actual top of the piece, then it would have looked like it belonged with the box. Bugged me so much I got out a rattle can of black and painted the %%$#@@ thing.

[attachment=29307]

My next victim was a chunk of douglas fir 4x4. This one faired better but still has it's issues. To start with I was cutting on a 1/2 hp band saw which made for pretty slow going in the harder wood,  even with a 4 tpi blade. Michael recommends 6 tpi which I'm sure would give a much smoother finish. He doesn't appear to sand the inside of his boxes, the ones I make sure need sanding. 

Making these is sort of counter intuitive as you cut out the inside first. I didn't leave enough material on the outside so ended up with flat straight ends instead of a vertical taper like the sides of the box. Also, I decided to paint the insides of the box black to disguise some poor cuts. Unfortunately I painted all the way down the sides before gluing in the bottom so ended up with a fugly paint bleed line. Another Grrrrrr.

[attachment=29308]

Here's the end showing the sides do taper bottom to top.

[attachment=29309]

In order to a) hide the paint bleed and b) raise the bottom to add a shadow line and c) disguise a sanding round over I added a piece of black self adhesive plastic padding to the bottom. This shows the inside of the top painted as well.

[attachment=29310]

Here's a couple more photos. The knob is kingwood, first time I've ever used it in any way. It is wicked hard but turned well and took a great finish with Behelen's friction polish.

[attachment=29311]

[attachment=29312]

These are fun to build, starting another tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

g

RE: Couple band saw boxes - BrokenOlMarine - 08-31-2020

Next time, you can order flocking in your color choice.
Flock the drawer slots if they are a bit sloppy, and the drawer interiors.
Makes a classy look.

RE: Couple band saw boxes - fredhargis - 09-01-2020

Very cool, bandsaw boxes are very high on my list of to-do items.

RE: Couple band saw boxes - shoottmx - 09-01-2020

Jim,
Thanks, just ordered a flocking kit and some self adhesive velvet sheets Mind boggling number of choices at the Zon including, of all things, "Flock in a Box." Go figure.

Fred,
Thanks! Check out the videos when you have a few minutes. I think they're maybe 10 minutes without a lot of BS.

g

RE: Couple band saw boxes - Arlin Eastman - 09-01-2020

Good work!  I will look to see more you do in the future.

RE: Couple band saw boxes - Stwood_ - 09-01-2020

Looks good. You'll learn more as time goes on.

RE: Couple band saw boxes - Bill_de - 09-07-2020

(08-31-2020, 09:24 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Watched these FWW videos by Michael Cullen and liked his approach so decided to take a stab at something I'd never done. I like the look of the box he makes in video #6 & 7 so dug in. I'm no carver and with arthritis making it's way thru my hands decided to skip the carving and go for my personal favorite, Bush Oil. BTW, I think these videos are available to watch without a subscription.

These are fun to build, starting another tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

g

Very nice work! Flocking is pretty easy and makes a nice finishing touch.

--

RE: Couple band saw boxes - shoottmx - 09-08-2020

Fred: Thanks, I'm finding these to be enjoyable work.

Arlin: Thanks, there's a few more in the pipeline

Steve: True, but I learn slowly. Real slowly.

Bill: The process appears to be easy but it must make one he**uva mess.

g

RE: Couple band saw boxes - Bill_de - 09-08-2020

(09-08-2020, 09:20 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Bill: The process appears to be easy but it must make one he**uva mess.

g

Not really. Put some newspaper down. The flocking material sticks to the glued surface. After application fold the newspaper in half and drop the excess back into the original container. 

---

RE: Couple band saw boxes - Terry W - 09-10-2020

I watched those FWW videos and fully planned on taking a stab at making them. Time went by and I totally forgot about it. Time to dig through the scrap bin and see if I can find a likely hunk of wood big enough.