Ok, here's the thing, my older daughters, 36 & 34, have decided they want tools for upcoming birthdays and Christmas. One is an architect, the other a graphic designer and have been around tools all of their lives (I won't get into their specific requests, but I will modify them a bit). Anyhow, I've begun to build benches for each, handtool height, with a top about 60" x 24".

My quandry is the type of vice to put on. I'm leaning towards a "parrot" style, mainly because of the other thread, plus I have one. Ths will be the only work holding method, until I see how they use the benches.

Thoughts?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

Most of my special purpose vises and work holding jigs get clamped into the face vise
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I think a face vise would be the most useful.  Also, if you haven't made the tops yet, I would make them wider 30-36".  Just my 2 cents worth.

Lonnie
It is too easy to go overboard. I thing the parrot vise is an excellent idea. Let their work dictate upgrades. Good luck with your project.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Tony,

Why don't you give them several options, explain the pros and cons of each and ask them what they prefer.
Just a thought.

Hank
What do they think that they want to build?

Are you planning it with rows of round dog holes for holdfasts and planing stops/battens?

If not, why would they need planes or chisels if all they have is a parrot vise?

A traditional leg vise as the front vise can be easily removed if it is in their way. It is also good for holding a parrot vise base.

A Veritas twin screw vise makes a great general purpose end vise.

If either of them is likely to do complicated geometries, then a patternmaker's vise might be a better choice for a front vise than the leg vise for her.

For me, the shoulder vise is about the only style that gets in the way more than it gets used.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Some details: 34 year old just wants to do work around her house, so, I think it better to have a work surface for her to get started with, and adapt as she needs items. 36 year old had a fully equipped power tool shop in college and a good instructor that taught them saftey and how to use the tools.

Both have husbands with two left hands (each)! Will the daughters be hand tool users? I hope, but that is not their wish for starting. So, my thoughts are work surface (benches that can be added to), pair of saw horses each (made for sawing with a hand saw!), St. Roy styled tool tote (complete with panel rip & CC, egg beater, a few chisels, etc.) as a start (plus a few books for inspiration).

More thoughts?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
It so happens that I am currently building a workbench for my daughter (35) and her family. I plan to attach a woodworking vise and a metalworking vise. I am including the ww vise only because my granddaughter loves a wood vise. The ww vise will be built in on a corner. I like to mount metalworking vises to platforms and then attach the platforms so they are sturdy but movable. Metal vise is undecided. I may start with a little one because she wants to do some jewelry work. I am also refurbing an eggbeater for her.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
If your daughters are like my two sons, things best be EXACTLY the same, or there will blood...

I would suggest a face vise, with an optional machinist vise that can be affixed for handling pipe and metal work.

https://youtu.be/Bh4-hpgtbOs
A parrot vice is really pretty specialized.  From the "use cases" you are describing, which are not hand tool related in any sense, the most flexible and useful would be a medium to large size  machinists vice on one corner, then as Jim says, add on whatever makes sense as the use cases evolve.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Daughter help needed!