I got three estimates for getting a slab pour for my 12x20 garage/woodworking shop one for $1200, $1600, and $2000. The last two contractors came and look at the site, those prices are for digging the footings, forming it up, and pouring and finishing the concrete. Which one should I pick?

As a retired General Contractor usually  never the cheapest unless some one is hungry for work and very good references. No matter which one, hold back 25% for 30 days if you have a problem, you have leverage.
If in a cold climate and going to heat it i would think about some hard foam insulation under it unless you have other plans for insulation  above it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I live in Central Alabama.
(10-24-2016, 09:19 PM)CJIII Wrote: I live in Central Alabama.

Then I would think no insulation is needed, I am a WI guy. If the cheapest never came out, either he is really busy or does gives a F. I would go with the middle guy, pick his brain a bit, get references, the top guy might be busy and has the higher price as gravy for your job. I priced things that way, when slow went cheap on pricing because I needed the work, when busy I bumped it up a notch above my regular rate. Supply and demand.
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Ok I will ask him a lot questions!
How thick is the concrete base? Are they going to put down a subbase of gravel/crushed stone? If so that will help in a more stable base usually and prevent cracking of the concrete, no guarantee but helps. Wire mesh?  Al good questions to ask for your $.
Smirk

Will use rebar, and wire mesh. The slab will be 4'' thick.

Did you show them pictures of the lake in your back yard?  Have you fixed that problem yet?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-25-2016, 07:38 AM)blackhat Wrote: Did you show them pictures of the lake in your back yard?  Have you fixed that problem yet?

In central Alabama 

Big Grin
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The water wont be a problem, I am going to plant sod in the area once the garage is built.
Choosing a foundation contractor?