What does a Uniplane do?
Rockwell Delta Uniplane

Are one of these worth the space in the shop it would take up?

[Image: 00404_qHMvoN4qkk_600x450.jpg]
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
IME 

No 

YMMV
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

its a specialty tool.  for some people yes, for most no.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(01-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Rockwell Delta Uniplane

Are one of these worth the space in the shop it would take up?

Depends on what you are doing.  It's essentially a safer jointer that produces a better finish with a larger capacity.  Has a smaller footprint than a comparable jointer and is quicker and easier to set up.  It can also be safely used on end grain and smaller pieces than a conventional jointer.
Here is a review from '69 when it first came out, interesting machine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kiYDAA...ne&f=false
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-11-2017, 02:06 PM)Admiral Wrote: Here is a review from '69 when it first came out, interesting machine:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kiYDAA...ne&f=false

Even more interesting are the articles that precede and follow that tool review in that edition of Popular Science. LOL...brings back memories....

...slow day at work...
(01-11-2017, 02:52 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Even more interesting are the articles that precede and follow that tool review in that edition of Popular Science. LOL...brings back memories....

...slow day at work...

Check out the groovy pole lamp on page 43.  We had one like that when I was a kid.  Parents' house still has the marks on the ceiling to prove it.
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Admiral: thanks for that link. Brought back more than a few memories as I have not seen a Uni-plane in years. From what I  read and heard, it was a good machine and worked well. Problem seemed to be that it was just too "unique", and too much of a  radical design to catch on with those who grew up with/trained on traditional jointer.

Would not mind having one -- depending upon price, condition, all OEM parts, etc. But I wonder if replacement knives/cutters are available?
Back in the 80's when I was in college, the woodworking shop had one of those.  We inquired about it, and the instructor said "the machine is too dangerous" and wouldn't even give us a demonstration, let alone use it.  He wasn't the type to question his knowledge.  Not saying he was right or wrong, just repeating what he said.
without the sliding guard they are very dangerous 

And it seems that the guard either went missing or was overridden on most every one I have seen
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy