Brese Plane Kit, First Attempt
I'm hoping for some more pics Klaus using the Olive and perhaps Wayne's design for a more comfortable rear bun. Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET
Bravo friend Klaus. Its good to see you working with wood again. And might I say a sweet looking hand plane your building too. Look forward to seeing the final result.

Regards; Stewie.
+ 1 that turned out really nice and hope you are able to get back in your shop and enjoy yourself. I am anxiously waiting to see some of yours and Pedders Craftsmanship once again.

Steve
This is an old thread that I had in my "favorite treads" category. I bumped it a few days ago since it was about to expire.

If you look at the date of the first post this is well over a year old so I don't think Klaus is back in the shop and over his allergies.

I just wanted to save the thread for another year.
Peter

My "day job"
Thanks Peter. I hadnt noticed the date on the innitial posting. That unfortunately still leaves Klaus battling with his wood dust allergies.

Stewie;
This kind of trickery from a man of the cloth Len
ex-INFILL MAGNET
OOOO boy

I want one, I want one. Me to me to.

Just one question. Are you going to countersink the screws?

Arlin

PS - Screw question already answered.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
LENPAM said:

This kind of trickery from a man of the cloth Len

Actually I am preserving history and tradition... that is very appropriate for my profession
Peter

My "day job"
Thanks for the bump, Peter.

You're right, sadly I'm still unable to do woodworking due to those allergies. In 2012 they rather got worse than better despite of the medical treatment. Right now it seems that the deepest valley might be crossed since I feel a little health improvement. 2 weeks ago, I was able to work about half an hour with ebony without getting asthma - fully protected though. Other woods still deny the cooperation.

Some pics of the Olive filled plane, that I showed here already. But the thread is gone. The plane is my absolute goto smoother. It really dosen't care the wood or the grain direction too much, it does it's job easy and perfectly. A tight mouth and the 55 deg. bedding and more than that the precision of Ron's work make it to perform magnificently. While the infills has a little shrinkage during the last 2 years (they show very small gaps), the performance is as great as ever. When it's freshly sharpened, there's no need to give any downforce while planing. It's enough to push it forward and it will produce a full width shaving. Jameel showed a video of a Brese plane just pulling the plane with a cord and it works. That's no exaggeration, it works really as long as the iron is sharp.

The olive wood, I used:

The finished plane:

Cheers
Klaus
That is stunning.... a really elegant piece of craftsmanship.

Reminds me of your saws.

Greetings from Munich... where major drooling is happening.