I made a big kitchen table
Very nicely designed and made. Beautiful. If anyone breaks into your house this is one item they probably won't try to take. Any idea on the total weight?
Jim
Nice style.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Thanks for all the comments.

To answer some of the questions, I think the total weight is somewhere around 280#. 180 for the top and 100 for the base. I put furniture pads under the legs, so I can scoot it around without damaging the floor.

To answer the engineering question, the main legs come down at a 45 degree angle. The angle between the main legs and sub-legs is around 115 degrees. The main reason for the design is the keep the table legs from hitting your knees when sitting. Your force analysis is right, and I suppose there are a number of variations that would still support the weight of the table. I didn't run the numbers, but the forces are relatively small compared to the strength of 8/4 oak and the joints. My main concern, over time, will be racking and whether the joints at the base hold up. I did test putting all my weight (180ish) on the tabletop edge, and there was no tipping or splaying of the legs.
Thanks Don! That's a real compliment coming from you. I was actually inspired by some of your work, although mine does not have near the quality and skill of your pieces! I also need to commend your for hefting around all those large boards. There were several times on this project where I was right at the limit of what I could move and lift. You and your guys must get a real workout with some of the pieces you build!
Like everyone else I like that table a lot. The base is quite unique and pleasing to my eye. The wood is stunning, and your workmanship was top notch. Congrats.

That crack that's near the edge. Did that just show up out of the blue after you had the top glued up? I've seen WO crack like that a couple of times so I wouldn't be surprised. Beautiful but cantankerous stuff, white oak.

John
Thanks John. Several of the boards had issues that I tried to work around. I was aware this board had a knot in the edge, but I did not know there was a crack (there were no visible gaps before routing.) Luckily it did not go all the way through, and it was an easy fix.
Your table is beautiful!
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.
awesome work! Love the quartersawn wood.

Mulligan
Beautiful design and build! In the future, I hope you don't have to move it often.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
Very, very nice. Great design on the base. Very pleasing to the eye, and unique. Not meaning to start a Festool war, but for professionals (I'm not one), the time saved easily justifies the price.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill