Best drum sander?
Jet 22-44 non-oscillating here too. Central tool in my arsenal. I use it for virtually every project in some capacity with 120 grit paper. Thousands of board feet run through it, never a problem.
I bought the SuperMax 19-38 a couple of years back. Very good machine, but like all tools, it needs to be set up properly (ensuring that the drum is dead parallel to the table). I use it on about 80% of my projects.

It's a "must have" if you do end grain cutting boards. However it is not a planer - it only takes off a thousand or two at a time.

I previously had a Delta 18-36 which was O.K. but harder to set up and I saw Delta was no longer providing parts support for it so I sold it and bought the SuperMax.

Good luck in your search - "The hunt for a new tool is 1/2 the fun!"
Have you looked at the Supermax 37x2 dual drum sander. I've seen them on Craiglist every now and then. I bought mine for $900., without sandpaper and feeder belt. Worked fine, just needed some clean up.
Powermatic has a new version. Has a slick way to adjust the head to be parallel with table. But like all PM stuff it's pricey.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/p...y&apt=video
+1 on the 19-38. Had mine for a year now and wish I would have bought one sooner. I use it on almost every project and it is really good after resawing thin material. There are so many great uses for it that would otherwise be difficult with alternate small shop methods.
I have a SuperMax 25/50 and love it. Doing it pro, he might want to look at a wide belt or dual drum. I don't know what the budget is.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
jteneyck said:

If it's a production operation, no matter how small, I would not get a cantilevered drum sander. You want something a lot more robust than any of the ones I've seen. I'd get a Woodmaster. Made in the USA, too. They make a 26" model, as well as larger ones, in a single drum unit, and double drum units starting at 38".

John

I would agree with John, open sides sanders are not good if they are drum sanders. I had a Delta when they first came out and I traded up to a General Dual Drum. It served me well but the burning with a drum sander is a problem and of course the drum sanders always leave grooves. I got a Grizzly baby wide belt and never looked back. The difference is night and day better.

I agree that a dual drum for the average shop with both side captured and held is far better.
I owned and sold my 22/44ST PRO Performax after getting a G1066Z Griz 26" double drum. The Griz is a hundred times more rigid and solid.

I will gladly unload it for about any real widebelt in equal or larger width one of these days when the right deal comes along. New shed is getting wired for it in anticipation for it as a future tool.

A even a half time pro should go straight to widebelt IMO.

If you must go drum, the nicest I have used was a 38" Woodmaster.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

LIL
I have a Woodmaster dual drum 38" that I bought used. It is a tank and it is unkillable. I had a Delta 18/36. Not a bad machine but a toy compared to the woodmaster. I would wager that their smaller machines are equally well designed.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
I have owned 2 Woodmaster 718s over the years. Awesome as a drum sander. Woodmaster makes a 50" dedicated drum sander. The feed rate is variable and separate from the head motor, so you can get the exact feed you want.

Also, with a 50" drum and 24" parts, your friend can wrap half the drum with course paper, and half with fine. The unit uses hook and loop, so this is easy to do. No paper changes needed to run the parts under most circumstances.
Woodmaster's customer service is very good as well.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.