would you buy a Delta machine?
What a shame. I started my woodworking hobby watching Norm on the New Yankee Workshop. I wanted to have a full set of Delta, just like he did. Now, I have just a few small Delta bench tools left. When they break, a different brand will replace them.

The whole Chinese tool manufacturing issue is a huge source of frustration to me. I really try to look for US made tools in the store, but they are few and far between. Racks and racks of Chinese junk. That's not to say that Chinese factories couldn't make good products, they certainly can. No one seems to be complaining about the quality of Apple products made in China. I don't think it's the lack of capability of the factories or the workers. It's the sloppy specifications and lack of quality control that the US companies are accepting and putting their name on. I guess ultimately it's the US consumer at fault for picking the cheapest tool from Harbor Freight over higher quality offerings.
A room full of parts is pretty much useless unless you know exactly where each part is located and what the part is for.

To be usefull to anyone (or profitable to you), you will need to put together a complete and accurate inventory with a minimum of the part names and part numbers for every piece and a photo or 5 wouldn't hurt also. Better yet would be a cross reference to the parts diagram and parts lists for the particular machine the part goes to.

This much effort is why many such "parts collections" are dumped as scrap or sold as a unit for pennies a pound and largely dissapear from the user market just like the one you are describing.

I recently saw a pick-up truck load of at least a dozen large boxes of "machine parts" carted out of an auction for a few bucks each.

Its truely a sad day when one of the work-horse USA brand names becomes regarded as second tier to Harbor Freight
tnff said:

Amazing how a simple thing like management can make or break a company. Just a few years ago this same question would be been answered with "Don't buy anything else/everything else is junk/you can get parts for machines made in the 30s."

I love my US made Delta. Today, I'm just sad at the loss of another American icon to bad management.

Bad management is epidemic nowadays. The last three quite large corporations I've worked for have been acquired after they faltered and almost failed due to terrible executive management that made a series of incredibly bad decisions. Nobody thinks long term; everybody plans quarter to quarter, and CEOs worry only about their bonus plan and the hell with the long term interests of the company. Very sad, I'm glad I'm at the tail end of my working career.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
tnff said:

Amazing how a simple thing like management can make or break a company. Just a few years ago this same question would be been answered with "Don't buy anything else/everything else is junk/you can get parts for machines made in the 30s."

I love my US made Delta. Today, I'm just sad at the loss of another American icon to bad management.

"bad management" is an understatement.

But I still bleed old Delta gray... I guess that's what happens after you spend 24 years with a company...
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
thewizzard said:

Its truely a sad day when one of the work-horse USA brand names becomes regarded as second tier to Harbor Freight

Delta seems to be following the trail traveled by Bell & Howell & Polaroid. At one time they were quality American Brands. The names are still around .............
Admiral said:

[blockquote]tnff said:

Bad management is epidemic nowadays. The last three quite large corporations I've worked for have been acquired after they faltered and almost failed due to terrible executive management that made a series of incredibly bad decisions. Nobody thinks long term; everybody plans quarter to quarter, and CEOs worry only about their bonus plan and the hell with the long term interests of the company. Very sad, I'm glad I'm at the tail end of my working career.

[/blockquote]
Probably a failure of the Board of Directors. If the incentive plan rewards short term results then that is what the CEO will use for his management style. Although not many do it, there are some US companies that manage for the long term, many Japanese forms do.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I just went to their website. They only even offer a 6" bench top jointer and 14" bandsaw now?

What a shame. It's worse than I thought!
-Marc

I have a WWII Delta 6" belt sander on a stand, air filter, and an early 2000's 3 HP shaper. I just started using the shaper and I bought it used but never used. I love using that shaper and the thought of not being able to get parts easily for it irritates me.

I've been on the forum for 13 years and it's funny how the attitude of machinery has changed in this short period of time in regards to what brand one should buy. Back then I was in machinery acquisition mode and everyone screamed Unisaw and PM-66's. Grizzly was held nearly in the same light as Harbor Freight.

If I were to buy a new machine today, which I only own one machine that I've bought new in my shop, it might as well be a Grizzly because they seem to have the market share on cheaper import machinery; which means they'll most likely be around longer for support.

If I was in the market for a machine,Delta or PM would be on my shopping list only.But it would have to be US made and maybe at lease 15-20yrs old I guess.Fireslayer I don't think you have anything to worry about.I bet that shaper will work very well through yours and next owners lifetime without any issues.Now Griz that's another story,seems they discontinue their models maybe every 5-10yrs(guessing) which means parts prices go from what I would consider normal up to OMG!So the more products Griz put out there at what all consider a bargin,will drive up the stock value of their parts inventory.But to be fair if I was in the market for a saw I would look at Griz and not the Saw Stop
Sad why not the SS well cause I just can't afford itDon't know if the SS is made here or where.Parts for the Delta,PM's you can find most on the auction site.
Really guys how did this get started,being made oversea's and why?Our government wanting help other countrys or theirselves,Walmart,HD and Lowes wanting to be the one stop shop?
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to buying machinery now. I have everything I pretty much want and need for the level of WW that I do. Nonetheless, when the need for a different or new machine has came up, I always buy older USA made machines unless it's a ridiculous price on a tool that I run across and I can justify the floor space/price.

If I had to buy a NEW table saw today I would probably lean towards a Grizzly too and pass on the Sawstop for the same reasons as you. Having the money to buy something is different than being able to afford it. Yes, I could buy a Sawstop but I still have two kids to raise and I will never spend that kind of money on any tool for the limited WW I do.

I imagine there will be a plentiful supply of USA made machines for many many years on the used market. Well made tools don't wear out or break very easily.....and those are the ones that I will buy. I picked up my early 2000's USA made, 3 HP shaper for $360 at an estate sale. The cosmoline paper was still on the cast iron. Moving it to the basement wasn't fun but I'm glad I did it now. It makes the router table look like a toy.