would you buy a Delta machine?
EdL said:

Delta was doomed after the sbd buyout and move to the eastern seaboard. Everything was lost/destroyed (drawings, documentation, etc.). What parts were left were gone, the parts liquidation had started years before, this finished it. So much was lost, they had no idea who made anything for them. Delta couldn't order a replacment parts for anything other than the new Unisaw. The Asian buyout put the last nails in the coffin, game over.

Live with it.

Ed

When B&D bought them out they pretty much did away with all the Delta specific support the brand used to be known for.
Its been a while, but there was a guy that was active on sawmill creek, John Weber who bought out most of delta's parts inventory a few years back (several tractor trailer loads) and was selling those parts directly through his own website: http://www.weberwoodworking.com and also via the bay with a similar username. He was selling the parts back to B&D/Delta so they could sell them to you at a higher cost. From what I understand conversing with him (many moons ago, but I still remember it) , it was too much trouble for them to maintain the inventory and track it all so they let John do it for them.

I checked his site just now and he doesn't have much if any parts listed anymore. This was all quite a few years ago, and he may have sold off the parts or just isn't selling them any more.

Since BD/Dewalt, the company has changed hands a couple more times I believe, so the parts situation has probably gone even farther south. HTH

Found this with a little google searching:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/vintag...pare-part/
EvilTwin said:

[blockquote]EdL said:

Delta was doomed after the sbd buyout and move to the eastern seaboard. Everything was lost/destroyed (drawings, documentation, etc.). What parts were left were gone, the parts liquidation had started years before, this finished it. So much was lost, they had no idea who made anything for them. Delta couldn't order a replacment parts for anything other than the new Unisaw. The Asian buyout put the last nails in the coffin, game over.

Live with it.

Ed

When B&D bought them out they pretty much did away with all the Delta specific support the brand used to be known for.
Its been a while, but there was a guy that was active on sawmill creek, John Weber who bought out most of delta's parts inventory a few years back (several tractor trailer loads) and was selling those parts directly through his own website: http://www.weberwoodworking.com and also via the bay with a similar username. He was selling the parts back to B&D/Delta so they could sell them to you at a higher cost. From what I understand conversing with him (many moons ago, but I still remember it) , it was too much trouble for them to maintain the inventory and track it all so they let John do it for them.

I checked his site just now and he doesn't have much if any parts listed anymore. This was all quite a few years ago, and he may have sold off the parts or just isn't selling them any more.

Since BD/Dewalt, the company has changed hands a couple more times I believe, so the parts situation has probably gone even farther south. HTH

Found this with a little google searching:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/vintag...pare-part/

[/blockquote]

A minor detail correction: " bought out " is not correct. John was GIVEN those parts. I know because I was the 'someone from Delta' that cultivated him and arranged for those parts to be sent to him, instead of them getting trashed. THAT is where, first Porter-Cable, then B&D, had them headed...and I mean into the friggin dumpster. Just the thought of it hacked me off...so I did something else.
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
is he still around? I sent an email to his address, just now. there is only one part I can see that is shown on the link site other than the saw brochure
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Good on you 007, I bought a nos uni motor cover from John, he's a good guy.

As far as the replacement parts after the buy out, I was reverse engineering parts for Renovo, who was selling them to SBD, they were in deep do-do and knew it, didn't get far and they were sold to the Chinese company.

FWIW, I've done parts for Renovo off & on for 10 years now. Probably started about the time John got his stash.

Ed
JGrout said:

is he still around? I sent an email to his address, just now. there is only one part I can see that is shown on the link site other than the saw brochure

Joe, check out "tools rule" (maybe 1 word) on ebay.

Ed
I wouldn't buy anything delta as made today.
Almost everything I buy/own is Delta. Of course it is all from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I never have had a need for customer service, warranties, or unobtainable parts either.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Delta007 said:

A minor detail correction: " bought out " is not correct. John was GIVEN those parts. I know because I was the 'someone from Delta' that cultivated him and arranged for those parts to be sent to him, instead of them getting trashed. THAT is where, first Porter-Cable, then B&D, had them headed...and I mean into the friggin dumpster. Just the thought of it hacked me off...so I did something else.

Cool. That part I didn't know. In any event, it shows how short sighted the whole affair was. They took a company that probably had some of the highest customer loyalty and flushed it down the tubes.

To answer the OP's original question, yes, but with reservations. I currently own 4 pieces of Delta equipment, a 12/14 tablesaw, a 20" bandsaw, a 46-450 wood lathe and a 30C Ras. I've owned a bunch more, but this is the current stable, along with some other machines, all old and rebuilt by me. They built quality stuff in the day and if you can find the older American made stuff, it will serve well. Anything newer, with Chinese origins, I would probably pass on unless the price is right. I wouldn't turn my nose at any of the invicta stuff either, thought parts for those would be harder to come by.
Not in a million years!!! they show no respect for their customers -0-
Just as soon as hell freezes over.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member