Cutting bar stock
(11-29-2016, 03:57 PM)daddo Wrote: I bought the el-cheapo from HF with full no questions 2 year warranty. Been a great saw- no complaints and I have made a hundred cuts so far- even with 3" round aluminum stock.

I made the frame for it.

It flips up to hand cut and down for regular cuts.

It cuts 4 times faster than the sawzall.

[Image: Portable%20bandsaw%20stand%2011-23-15%20...6zlpo2.jpg]

[Image: shop%2012-31-2015%20018_zps5e172rmk.jpg]
I think I might try to copy that
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Our tool makers cut steel all day long using either a chop  band saw or a regular band saw.  

Once it is cut to size they either mill it or grind it, but the big chunks are cut using the band saw.  

We have just about every metal cutting, machining, grinding machine around.  We cut tool steel (not hardened) and mild steel on the band saws.  We cut hardened steel using a wire EDM or we grind.

Quite aside from the tooth configuration the RAS or table saw will spin way too fast, the blade will get too hot.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a dewalt chop saw but on bigger metal the deflection is easy to see I guess I could roll the tubing as a way to prevent it but again big metal is a pain to move
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I haven't done this for over 30 years, but I used to cut square tubing with a cutoff wheel on my RAS all the time.  I would start with a very shallow cut, followed by repeated shallow cuts by lowering the arm a little (1/8" or less) each pass.  I built a 5' x 10' Trailer for my ATVs, an expedition rack for my 4x4, and various other items doing this.  The cuts were very accurate and repeatable.  Lots of sparks...make sure there's nothing flammable around!!!
Bob
(11-30-2016, 02:32 PM)Cooler Wrote: Our tool makers cut steel all day long using either a chop  band saw or a regular band saw.  

Once it is cut to size they either mill it or grind it, but the big chunks are cut using the band saw.  

We have just about every metal cutting, machining, grinding machine around.  We cut tool steel (not hardened) and mild steel on the band saws.  We cut hardened steel using a wire EDM or we grind.

Quite aside from the tooth configuration the RAS or table saw will spin way too fast, the blade will get too hot.

You made me look!

Never heard of Wire EDM.  Fascinating! 

If you need a few pieces now and then, I would cut it with a hacksaw. If you need to cut hollow tube on a regular basis then a chop saw and ferros metal blade will do. I use a 4 x 5 horizontal/ vertical metal cutting band saw
myself. I cut lots of different size metals though. A wood working band saw runs to fast. The suggestions using a hand held power hacksaw are a good alternative and some have a stand that goes with it.
mike
(11-28-2016, 12:46 PM)splinter7612 Wrote: I used a metal cutting composite blade on my Craftsman RAS to cut 1-1/4" square steel tubing, easy peasy.

I did the same.  My RAS is on wheels and can be pulled into a safe area, where the shower of sparks will not land on sawdust or anything else that will torch the shop.  It works well.  Just be aware of what is behind the saw.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe